Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Re: The current true cost of a total WBX rebuild, July 2014

Post by ELVIS »

ghost123uk wrote:Interesting figures there Ian,. and yes, scary :shock:

tforturton wrote:So, without wishing to bring a lawsuit down upon our heads, what do you think they ACTUALLY do to their recon engines? :wink:

I queried this with Elite a while back, during one of the previous times this was discussed. Like "TheEngineShop" they say the following in their Ebay advert =

The engine has a reground crank.
New bearings.
New large volume oil pump not the std one.
A reground flywheel
New camshaft bearings.
New barrels and pistons.
Crack tested cylinder heads.
New valve guides.
New valves.
New push-rod tubes.
New cylinder head studs
A crack tested engine case that is in-line bored for oversize bearings.
New gaskets and seals.
New spark plugs.
All threads are checked and repaired for ease of assembly.
Crank shaft end-float is set by dial gauge.
All engines are tested for oil pressure, compression and leakage before delivery.
We do our best to make the engine as reliable as possible and carry out some modifications to make this so.

When I asked via email how they did this at the price, they did not supply an answer in their reply, but suggested I ring them to discuss it :? I decided I did not want to go that route for obvious reasons.

Would be interesting to price up the new parts some reconditioned put on, but using cheapest motor factor parts possible, to see what the cost would be. 'Slugs n jugs' will kill best part of £300. Profit margin or hourly rate must be minimal. No mention of head studs. You think some budget engine recons just get the broken ones replaced instead of full set? :ok

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

ELVIS wrote:Would be interesting to price up the new parts some reconditioned put on, but using cheapest motor factor parts possible, to see what the cost would be.

Yep, JK's finest quality...

No mention of head studs. You think some budget engine recons just get the broken ones replaced instead of full set? :ok

Both Ghost's Elite and my TES quotes did explicitly include "New cylinder head studs".
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

I suggested in the email to Elite that, imho, they were doing themselves no favours wording the ad that way (unless of course they are using all those new parts :shock: )

I imagine (being careful here) they simply replace parts that need replacing, either with new, or with tested used. I have no problem with that at their prices, but.... their wording is.... Best be prudent in what we say here ;)

I repeat, am not "just saying this" = If I needed a complete motor and my finances were a bit tight, I would likely buy an Elite one. Though if I had the money, I would approach Toomanytoys.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

I have no axe to grind with anyone on the subject, but I do note that TES are only offering a "one size fits all" new hydraulic cam for wbx engines that is actually an aftermarket T2 3-bolt item.

"Must also fit early, up to 1971, heavy duty 26mm air cooled oil pump"

Unfortunately this means that you have no idea if the cam timing or profile is suitable for your engine.

DF cam is not the same as DG, which is NOT the same as DJ/MV/SS spec (all 2.1 use the same cam profile and timing afaik)

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

Can't multi quote as I am special! :mrgreen:

Ghostie kind of said in the post after mine, what I was trying to say badly :mrgreen:

New head studs fitted. Was wondering if that's new ones to replace any duff ones , or complete set replaced? Could be quite an ambiguous statement if no specifics.

If I get bored this week, will chat to GSF parts chap and get prices on everything in list using cheapest brand/make possible :ok will be interesting to see what the final figure is :ok

123-jn
80-90 Mem No: 12161

Post by 123-jn »

Hi, The cam I obtained from TES was exactly as said above a 3 bolt cam with new gear for hydraulic lifters. It may be a one size fits all but when it arrived I had it measured up and compared by the same engine shop that did my crank polish. Their verdict was that in both profile and timing it was identical to my old one but in lift it was approx 1/10 mm less. This they agreed was neither here nor there on this engine. So all happy and a big saving!!! I have a DG. 1.9. AS for the oil pump bigger heavy duty ones are available but longer studs may be required. Mine is 32mm not 26.
123-jn Autohomes Komet 2.1 DJ AUTO 1989 (closed loop LPG pierburg 2E3)
- Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi