Help needed fixing front brakes in Taunton.

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

andydormer
80-90 Mem No: 11563

Help needed fixing front brakes in Taunton.

Post by andydormer »

I’ve reached the point where I need some help with the front brakes on my van. I can’t get the front flexi pipe off the upper union. The 11mm upper union is rusty and rounded – I started to round off the 14mm pipe before I stopped to avoid further damage. I’m in the process of fitting new brake callipers and hoses.

Unfortunately the van isn’t driveable to take it along to a garage.

So, would anyone in the Taunton area like to show me how it is done? Or can anyone recommend a mobile mechanic in the area?
Cheers, Andrew
1984 Autosleeper Trooper, 1.9DG.
Taunton

Verne
80-90 Mem No: 13453

Re: Help needed fixing front brakes in Taunton.

Post by Verne »

If already changing calipers and hoses, why not replace the metal pipes too. If the unions are past it now, better to replace now.
Verne

KEIF - '87 1.9DG T25 Tin-Top Camper
LILIBUG - '67 1200 Beetle resto project

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Help needed fixing front brakes in Taunton.

Post by CovKid »

Yup. With brakes you just have to keep going back until you come across something that undoes reasonably easily then work your way back with new stuff. I was a mobile VW mechanic for many many years and on brakes I was always asked "How much will it cost" to which I'd always say "I'll let you know once I figure out what is good enough to put back into service"

You'll have to bite the bullet and accept having to replace more than you expected. It is not unusual on brakes.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.