swapping boxes

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

malcyb
80-90 Mem No: 13386

swapping boxes

Post by malcyb »

Hey all.

Having recently begun the pilgrimage which is T3 ownership, I have found that I am not entirely happy with the 4 speed box fitted to my 1.6TD It seems to be really happy cruising at 50mph and sadly I am struggling with the shame that is being overtaken by EVERYTHING on the roads :(

I have a few ideas and wondered what the general consensus was. Either changing the ratios of my box (never done it before...quite daunting) or swapping it for an alternative 4 speed with better ratio top gear or fitting a 5 speed, something which I am not insistent of as I just want to make it a bit easier on motorway cruising. As a novice at repairs and maintenance I would like to know what is the best value way to improve the situation

Many thanks
VW T25 LHD 1.6TD Transporter

Currently being modified... wait and see....

dekhelia
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: swapping boxes

Post by dekhelia »

What about fitting larger diameter wheels?

This would give the easiest (not to mention cheapest) solution, given what you say about being a 'novice' mechanic.
'81 Helgo Mescalero 300,000km
AAZ with ally cam cover from Scirocco
JX turbo
New gearbox coming soon

chapperss
80-90 Mem No: 1343

Re: swapping boxes

Post by chapperss »

fitting taller gears/increasing tyre size will drop your engine rpm, but will probably make your bus go slower! you need more power from your engine first. ie My engine uses a stock vw box but I can easily break the speed limit in third! I dont know much about diesels but plenty on here do. Steve
1990 twin slider transporter. Subaru 5 speed trans. 3.3 svx subaru motor(it scares me!)