What's leaking ?

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Bozykid
80-90 Mem No: 13542

What's leaking ?

Post by Bozykid »

1990 autosleeper 1.9 dg

Noticed a little patch on ground today , drivers side almost underneath the pedals , very light oily feel to it , kind of like dirty cooking oil , looked underneath and it's just a small amount collecting on flat plate underneath .

Not happened in the first 4 weeks of owning it , went to glastonbury the weekend from poole and back again and just noticed this evening.

Anyone have any ideas what this may be ?

Is there any brake or clutch fluid reservoirs near there ?

Thanks
1990 a/s trident high top 1.9 dg

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Re: What's leaking ?

Post by CJH »

Bozykid wrote: Is there any brake or clutch fluid reservoirs near there ?

Yep - main reservoir is underneath the instrument binnacle, just behind the main dials.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

mark
80-90 Mem No: 9768

Post by mark »

lift the carpet under the pedals............puddle?...............pull the dash pod off.......slide fingers towards screen over the pod and fingers in the grabs and lift off carefully..........brake and clutch reservoir....check level...........hand up behind the steering column............ clutch master cylinder.......usual suspect

mark
1988 1.9 dg Caravel.
https://i.imgur.com/oIt3VLk.jpg

Bozykid

Post by Bozykid »

More likely to be hoses or the actual cylinders themselves cracked ?
Thanks

Bozykid

Post by Bozykid »

Can anyone tell me what's the easiest and cheapest option for a DIY (with a Haynes manual) non mechanic fix, replace hoses first as it's a cheaper start if the leak isn't obvious ?

Or is it something best left to a garage as it involves brake fluids bleeding etc ?

I'm willing to give it a go myself if it's not too difficult I'm pretty good with instructions, spanners etc

Thanks

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Bozykid wrote:Can anyone tell me what's the easiest and cheapest option for a DIY (with a Haynes manual) non mechanic fix, replace hoses first as it's a cheaper start if the leak isn't obvious ?

Or is it something best left to a garage as it involves brake fluids bleeding etc ?

I'm willing to give it a go myself if it's not too difficult I'm pretty good with instructions, spanners etc

Thanks

get a pic up of where it's leaking from we can then tell you how to fix it.

can't be hard to find the source compared to modern vehicle it's very open and easy to get at.

I think brake light switches leak also.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Bozykid

Post by Bozykid »

I will check it out tonight / tomorrow and post pics

Bozykid

Post by Bozykid »

Ok out here in van this evening, lifted up carpet / rubber stuff and yes very wet and peeling paint :-(
Given the clutch master a good clean off with some baby wipes as the hydraulic pipe on the lower front of it that disappears beneath van was very sticky/dirty/fluffy (possible indication of leak?)

The rest of it looks very clean and dry , no mess above this pipe and none running down from the feeder pipe which is braided stainless by the looks of it (replacement?)

I've pumped the clutch loads now it's all clean and dry and no sign of leak so I'm thinking nothing major keep an eye on it ?

What do I do with the puddle of brake fluid eating its way through my beautiful van as we speak , fairy liquid and water ,Then spray the bare paint bits ?

Thanks for everyone's advice so far .

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Master cylinder leaks don't just go away. And the level in the reservoir is?
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Bozykid

Post by Bozykid »

Kind of near minimum but van is slightly running downhill facing forward , will check properly before any distance is done , it's not my daily drive.

I don't expect it to go away :-) but just need to try and see where it's coming from is what I meant by keeping an eye on it :-)

Cheers

What do I do about fluid on floor ?

mark
80-90 Mem No: 9768

Post by mark »

leave it until you change the master cylinder.......you don't want it failing for the want of http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/c ... er-t3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mark
1988 1.9 dg Caravel.
https://i.imgur.com/oIt3VLk.jpg

Bozykid

Post by Bozykid »

Noticed a small drip now from the nut that's above the hydraulic hose nut.

Just tighten it ? I know it's an obvious question just that I'm very new to vehicle repairs :-)

I don't own a reasonable set of spanners , what's an ok set to go for that will get me through a master change if I have to ?

Thanks

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Brake cleaner, and (so they say) plain water will neutralise brake fluid. Can't vouch for the latter. You could try nipping up the nut slightly (might cure it).
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.