Clutch pedal travel, on its way out perhaps?

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Clutch pedal travel, on its way out perhaps?

Post by New Kentish Campers »

We're taking the van to France for three weeks soon and I'm going through everything to try to make sure its all ok, etc as I expect to cover a fair bit of mileage as we are going down to the Gers region via the Atlantic and back up through the middle.
One thing thats bothering me is the clutch. I drive a few other vehicles and their clutches are all pretty much the same in that they begin to 'bite' around halfway of pedal travel whereas mine is right at the top. It doesn't slip or anything but.......
What do you reckon, change it to be safe or all they all like this? :ok

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Clutch pedal travel, on its way out perhaps?

Post by CovKid »

A worn clutch easy to diagnose. if you barely have to rest your foot on the clutch and you lose drive, its had it. Sounds it to me. If left, it'll eventually slip, particularly if you put your foot down hard going up a hill. Mine was the same recently but clutch in good condition other than friction plate so I just replaced that - about £45. Others replace the lot, but I'm an old-school mechanic rather than a fitter.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

New Kentish Campers

Thanks for your reply. :ok
I think I'll bung a clutch in it to be on the safe side and also replace the cv joint bolts while I'm about it. Both of these have been rumbling around in my head of late so I should trust my instincts and replace them.

pionte
80-90 Mem No: 8209

Post by pionte »

CovKid wrote: Mine was the same recently but clutch in good condition other than friction plate so I just replaced that - about £45. Others replace the lot, but I'm an old-school mechanic rather than a fitter.

who has huge muscles or a ramp to do the work ! :run :lol: trust me when doing it on your back on your own , once you feel the weight of the gearbox you wont be wanting to take the risk of having to take it back out again ever !!
For the extra £60 change everything ! and the spigot bearing :ok
2.5 Quad Cam Scooby engine . Westfalia California 1989

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

You could try the handbrake test as a starter. Start the engine, make sure the handbrake is on tight and let the clutch up slowly using normal revs. You said right at the top, but does it stall before the pedal is at its highest? How far before the pedal reaches its high point? If it doesn't stall or only just before the pedal reaches its highest point then I would repace the clutch. How many miles have you done since the last clutch was installed? If the answer is a hell of a lot then it may well need replacing.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Yeah but I change clutches a different way from most. No weight involved the way I do it and an hours work at most. Better than garage rates - by miles. I change whole clutch if it genuinely needs a new one but it didn't on this occasion. You do need to know the history of the clutch though. Been doing it that way for 27 years.

pionte wrote: who has huge muscles or a ramp to do the work ! :run :lol: trust me when doing it on your back on your own , once you feel the weight of the gearbox you wont be wanting to take the risk of having to take it back out again ever !!
For the extra £60 change everything ! and the spigot bearing :ok
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

waltraud
80-90 Mem No: 5824

Post by waltraud »

cov kid- what is you rmethod, I really like the idea of one hour. I'm assuming that you just move the gbpx back a bit? Any thin timesaving is good in my books.
1983 1.9 Ivory Westy Joker

New Kentish Campers

Ralf85 wrote:You could try the handbrake test as a starter. Start the engine, make sure the handbrake is on tight and let the clutch up slowly using normal revs. You said right at the top, but does it stall before the pedal is at its highest? How far before the pedal reaches its high point? If it doesn't stall or only just before the pedal reaches its highest point then I would repace the clutch. How many miles have you done since the last clutch was installed? If the answer is a hell of a lot then it may well need replacing.
Thanks! As I read your answer I remembered this method too!! My brain must be going slow.... I'll try it later on and see how it goes. As for history, etc I can't say for sure. I've owned the van about four years and it came with a goodly amount of various service bills and the like but no mention of any replacement clutch.
The van's speedo reads 128k miles and has had a replacement engine so perhaps a clutch would have been fitted at the same time but I cant be sure of that. I'll report back later... :ok

New Kentish Campers

Well, I tried that test and the clutch begins to slow the engine and will stall it about 2" from the end of travel.
So I'm guessing it's not as bad as I thought and is just a very 'light' clutch? :?

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

New Kentish Campers wrote:Well, I tried that test and the clutch begins to slow the engine and will stall it about 2" from the end of travel.
So I'm guessing it's not as bad as I thought and is just a very 'light' clutch? :?
You've got a few miles to go yet, but if you are planning a long trip I would get it changed before you go, along with new spigot bearing and oilyte bearing as discussed elsewhere.
I just noticed that you are off to France. Well if you are just popping over from where you live to Calais you should be ok. However, If you are doing the 2000 mile trip that I do every year I would get it changed.

New Kentish Campers

Thanks for that, Ralph.
I'll trust my instincts and replace the lot :)
For the sake of saving a hundred quid and wreck my holiday, its not worth the risk particularly as I've no plans to sell the van.