I need a good Garage near Ashford Kent read on

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Dave C
80-90 Mem No: 0

I need a good Garage near Ashford Kent read on

Post by Dave C »

Hi Long story short. Took my 1987 T3 to have water pump pulley changed and week after it was replaced belt snapped and engine overheated but only drove it 1/.4 mile. Have since taken it back and they fitted new water pump and belt and have driven it 5 miles and water is coming out of the water tank cap and water over max level on expansion tank. Ive been told may be head gasket!!!! Can anyone please recommend Garage or Mechanic in Ashford Kent as supposed to be goping on Holidy next weekend and dont want to take it back to my Garage again Cheers

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Re: I need a good Garage near Ashford Kent read on

Post by AdrianC »

Which engine?
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sturtywurty

Post by sturtywurty »

I live Ashford myself but I'm afraid I haven't used any garages for the van as yet.

Not really sure of any advice to give. I'd imagine it couldbe relate to the new pump? Perhaps your dalek cap was on the way out (I believe it works on pressure, venting into the expansion tank) and when a new pump was put in (which perhaps worked better or provides more pressure as its new) caused the fault with thecap to become more aparant.

Is the van over heating?

My vans sitting on the drive at the moment in a very sorry state and although I don't have a spare cap (of someone with a bit more knowledge thinks that's the problem or a possible problem) you'd be more than welcome to borrow my cap, give the van a run around and see if i makes a diffirence?

sturtywurty

Post by sturtywurty »

Forgot to say that's all simply guess work. Hopefully someone with a bit of knowledge can give you a proper reason /solution :p

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

It hasn't been bled properly.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Thanks everyone, I bled it again yesterday and having head gasket tested tomorrow as looks like oil in water tank cheers

Drunk Aardvark
80-90 Mem No: 12270

Post by Drunk Aardvark »

Hi Dave, are you the guy with the black van I met in Sainsburys garage this morning? Try D&D Autos. They started off with VWs and there's a guy there who seems to know his stuff. There's also a VW restoration place somewhere around Chilmington. I'll see if I can find his number.
Phil

1988 Syncro Caravelle 2.1WBX LHD Brown

sturtywurty

Post by sturtywurty »

Ive always found D and Ds to be good when using them for my cars, infact it was them that failed my van on its MOT but I found them very sympathetic towards the van and didn't fail it on the holes in inner sills or the state of the outriggers as I guess they don't deem it to be part of the chassis.

Anyway, my 2 pence worth but can't vouch for there van knowledge (although my friend did tell me the same info as the guy above, thatthey were historically VWs).

Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Hi Yep thats me with Black Van and will give them a try and thankyou

RobH
80-90 Mem No: 8671

Post by RobH »

If it's not your only vehicle and you are not is a great rush I could recommend Volks Farmers in Elham http://www.volksfarmers.co.uk
Got my carb on the DG set up and running really well, they did have the van for a while but once back it been running the best ever and price was great.
They were recommended to me by a local RAC man so I see that as a plus.
Last edited by RobH on 24 Jul 2014, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.
'89 Home brew camper, 1.9 petrol twin-slider tin-top

RobH
80-90 Mem No: 8671

Post by RobH »

Sorry should have read it fully, if you need it next week my suggestion may not be best.
'89 Home brew camper, 1.9 petrol twin-slider tin-top

volksfarmers
80-90 Mem No: 11469

Post by volksfarmers »

We are available for minor breakdowns anytime its the longer term work we are tied up with (welding and resto work). We will try and help if in desperate need even on weekends and bank holidays. phone 01303 840374 daytime 01303 840241 eves and weekends