How do I get my rear brake drum off?!

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tensilekid
80-90 Mem No: 4707

Re: How do I get my rear brake drum off?!

Post by tensilekid »

Hi I had this problem, when you get the drum off , before you do anything photograph the layout of the self adjuster and springs as its easy to fit it wrong way round and haynes and other manuals do not show Exactly how it fits!
Before you put the drum back on I ran a M8 tap through the 7mm bolt holes so next time I used m8 bolts as extractors so much easier than a hammer!
colin t camper

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Good idea :ok
still may not work without backing off adjusters
not much material there for m8 threads so may strip out if rusted on tight, i added a little copper grease for help next time around the hub

i always take one side appart at a time so you can always look at the other side, mirror image but easy to work it out,
i also take photos
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Verne
80-90 Mem No: 13453

Post by Verne »

Do you guys have the tool that Brickwerks sell for adjusting the shoes or do you use something else?
http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Fi ... ool_01.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have always used the same screwdriver on other dubs, but the T25 rear trailing arm gets in the way. Thinking of bending another screwdriver to suit :D
Verne

KEIF - '87 1.9DG T25 Tin-Top Camper
LILIBUG - '67 1200 Beetle resto project

Verne
80-90 Mem No: 13453

Post by Verne »

Got home from work intending to strip the rear brakes and find out why the handbrake/rear brakes failed the MOT

Up on stands, wheels off, handbrake cable slackened - drums came off with very little resistance :ok

There as clear as day was my problem :shock:

Whoever had them apart last had decided that instead of spring pin and cup, it would be better to use a self tapping screw and the type of captive nut that is used for keeping the speakers in place. One shoe just about moved and the other was locked in place :evil:

Some people should really not work on cars :tsk

All back together, ready for another go again tomorrow once I've picked up a fitting kit
Verne

KEIF - '87 1.9DG T25 Tin-Top Camper
LILIBUG - '67 1200 Beetle resto project