Engine back firing and cutting out.

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mike9009
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Engine back firing and cutting out.

Post by mike9009 »

Hi

I fully charged the battery and she started pretty well. Did not venture too far and drove straight back home.

Had a quick 'feel' of the coil and it was stone cold :cry: . I checked the connections which were a little dirty (but not terrible....). On the top edge of the coil there are two spade connectors - but only one seems to have anything connected - Is this normal?

I am still concerned about the coil, so have arranged a mate to lend me a known good for the weekend. At least I can eliminate that.

I think I might take apart and clean all the connectors too, including a check and clean of the distributor. Are there any other known electrical gremlins?

I dread testing under load as I simply do not know when everything will fail, can feel a little unsafe. Could the coil issues exhibit themselves whilst just idling in the driveway?

Thanks

Mike

blacky
80-90 Mem No: 11413

Post by blacky »

My guess is it's not the coil, it's the fuel pump. But its only a guess as its not easy to dognose a prob on a keyboard.

mike9009
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by mike9009 »

Well, I am well chuffed with myself!

Following the diagnosis earlier in this thread, I decided to buy a coil and ignition amplifier. (to save on P&P!)

I decided when they arrived that I would go for the amplifier first. (It seemed easier to change and the coil did not seem to be getting desperately hot!) I also took apart all the connections I could easily get to, gently rubbed the connectors with some 800 grit paper (not sure if this is recommended?).

First journey I did not venture too far and completed 3 miles without too many issues. Second journey, 15 miles and no problems!! :D :D :D

I call it beginners luck, but I seem to have solved my first serious issue. (It was all a little easy though!)

Thanks for all the suggestions and help! :ok :ok :ok

I do have one other slight issue which is a slight misfire under load. Where should I start looking, now that I am all keen??

Mike

PS anyone want to buy a genuine Bosch coil for a 2.0L CU?