1981 T25 engine blew up! Advice needed.

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ros
80-90 Mem No: 0

1981 T25 engine blew up! Advice needed.

Post by Ros »

Hi there, we own a 1981 T25 which we bought last September with the assurance that a new engine had been fitted in 2011 and had only done 500 miles since then. We didn't use it much over the winter, but have started using it frequently with the good weather. Last weekend white smoke began pouring out of the exhaust, the engine lost power and then stopped. The mechanic tells us it is terminal and we need a new engine. He quoted £2500-3000. We don't have that kind of money. We now don't know what to do. Should we sell it? We paid £6500 for it and can't imagine what we'd get for it with no engine. Is there anywhere we could get it done cheaper? What do people in the know advise? We are quite newbies to campervans.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: 1981 T25 engine blew up! Advice needed.

Post by lloydy »

If you are on a budget speak to elite http://www.elitevw.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I think they do one fitted for around a grand.
Has the mechanic who looked at it said what's wrong!
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

discipleofsketch
80-90 Mem No: 11538

Post by discipleofsketch »

Yes you can get a replacement engine cheaper - what type of engine is it, and what part of the country are you in?

+1 on what lloydy said - find out what went wrong before fitting a new one, in case it is an external factor.

When you replace an engine you usually swap the auxillary parts over, which might be the cause, and you'll just break the new engine in the same way. Being 1981, I'm assuming yours is air-cooled petrol, but I know that some people keep blowing up engines because their (water-cooled) cooling system isn't working properly.
Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion

Ros

Post by Ros »

Wow, thank you for the rapid responses. Yes, it is an air-cooled petrol engine, 2 L. We are in Oxford. The mechanic didn't look at it - after I told him my story about the massive clouds of white smoke and the total loss of power, he said the engine was terminal and we'd need a new one, and would also need to find out what is causing overheating or the reason for blowing it.

Elitevw looks good for price. Are they reputable? Would a reconditioned engine be as good as a new one? Do you have any idea how much more it could cost if something else is causing the problem? Sorry about all the questions, but we are loath to sell but don't know what to do if we can't afford repairs. I much appreciate the advice.

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

Try talking to these guys,

http://Www.vanshack.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

2.5-3k is an i dont want the job price
as said 1k ish for an engine 500 to fit it tops at a decent garage (elite are 150 but there will be a collection charge)
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

I am not an air-cooled expert, but I do know that they are pretty easy to work on. I fitted new pistons and barrels to a mates van (ok, a Bay not a T25) and that was easy and only took a day in total. The parts are readily available.

You need to take the van to someone who knows these engines to find out what is wrong. If, as I suspect, it is just an issue with pistons/barrels/rings, and the bottom end is in reasonable nick, then the job is not as expensive as a new/recon engine and many air-cooled experienced places should be able to do it.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Ros

Post by Ros »

Thank you ghost. I have emailed elitevw - their prices are a bit higher than they say on their website, but I suppose we won't know what's wrong until someone actually looks at it. I will report back if we decide to do it, otherwise you'll see our lovely van up for sale :(

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

itchyfeet wrote:2.5-3k is an i dont want the job price

Especially combined with "Hasn't even looked at it". That's either "I really don't want to know, go away" or "Your wallet sounds friendly, come to daddy."

Get a second opinion, from somebody who will actually bother to look at it before pronouncing...
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

White smoke from an air cooled...
?
Mmmm... may be wrong but sounds odd.
What were the other symptoms? Does it run at all?
Is there oil in it ?
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

ianboydsnr
80-90 Mem No: 8542

Post by ianboydsnr »

I would have thought on an air cooled engine, white smoke would indicate copious amounts of fuel getting into the combustion chamber,

blue smoke on the other hand would indicate a broken engine!

smell the oil from the dipstick, is there a fuel smell?

disconnect the fuel line, take off the air filter, fill an old household spray bottle with fuel, spray into the intake as someone cranks the motor over, to see if it runs!

anyhow I am sure there are people around that can rebuild a VW air cooled motor whilst sleeping!
Last edited by ianboydsnr on 26 Jun 2014, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.

chrisbeck

Post by chrisbeck »

With Harry on this one white smoke?, If its an air cooled and it happend that quickly, dropped valve, piston carnage and lots of blue smoke

Ros

Post by Ros »

I checked the oil before we left on our trip, it was at the first line from the bottom - could have done with another pint or two but I thought it would be ok. On the Friday when we travelled to Brighton the car lost power and seemed sluggish on a big hill, but recovered after that, no white smoke, but there was a bit of white smoke when we first started it. Then 2 days later on the way back, on a big hill again, billows of white smoke poured out of the exhaust, the van totally lost power badly and I pulled over and turned it off, but horribly, it didn't turn off when I turned off the ignition, the engine kept going. I pulled out the key and got out of there quickly, since I don't know anything about engines and that seemed bad! It popped then stopped. Anyway, it won't start now and won't go anywhere. The engine turns over, but that's all. I haven't checked the oil again.

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Sorry to hear of your bad experience, but no need to sell it!
First advice is forget that garage and take it elsewhere. Ridiculous price to fix an Aircooled!
Next job is to get a compression test done. This will tell you a lot about the state of the engine. Then we can help diagnose and suggest solutions...
Don't worry, whatever the problem it is fixable for much less than you were quoted.
From the description, my guess is it was set up with the ignition timing far too advanced (as many aircooleds are) and this caused excess heat under load until things got so hot you lost compression. On turning the ignition off the engine was so hot it no longer needed a spark to run - it was now "dieseling", an extreme form of pinking, where the mixture is ignited by the heat already in the head/piston.
So most likely you will need a piston and barrel set, and two good/ new cylinder heads. Bottom end should be ok if it kept it's oil in and didn't throw a rod. Fingers crossed...
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

chrisbeck

Post by chrisbeck »

does this sound like its had deisel put in instead of petrol, anybody?
Did you fill up with fuel before you left to go on your trip?