Please help water jacket seal!!!

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

stoneageman
80-90 Mem No: 8899

Re: Please help water jacket seal!!!

Post by stoneageman »

The very best of luck yetti8.

I have a similar problem, i think. Not sure if it's split hose or a leak from the block.
Going to look today

Yetti85
80-90 Mem No: 13285

Post by Yetti85 »

Thanks stoneageman I first thought a split hose but I was wrong put up on ramps today ready to drop the engine tomorrow if the rain holds off.

Yetti85

Post by Yetti85 »

Well the head is off and no broken studs. :lol:

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Down hill from here then :D
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

well done

Have you considered the lower liner/barrel seal dilemma?
to change or not to change is the question?
(Sits back and gets popcorn)
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

stoneageman

Post by stoneageman »

Good going Yetti. Looks like mine will need the same, doesn't look like a split hose on mine either :(

I'm thinking of taking mine to a garage in Pompey to get it looked at, as i haven't really the time to do it.
As i have drained the coolant partially, if i top it up with water and drive it there then ask them to flush it out when they have made the repair, will that do any damage-or would itbe ok for a short time? Any ideas?

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

stoneageman wrote:I'm thinking of taking mine to a garage in Pompey
That has disaster written all over it
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

stoneageman wrote: As i have drained the coolant partially, if i top it up with water and drive it there then ask them to flush it out when they have made the repair, will that do any damage-or would itbe ok for a short time? Any ideas?

If you mean top it up and bleed it etc with water rather than the 50% red anti-freeze mix then yes it will be fine. It's just if the engine has not had the correct coolant mix in it for extended periods the corrosion starts affecting the studs etc. Oh and of course they will be draining the water system anyway, it's hard to take the engine out without doing so ;)

If you do find the place you are taking it to is confident about doing it, (and that would be a surprise) and manage to actually do it successfully, please let us know. Currently there only seems to one or two places in the UK that can/will do this, and one of them is only just in the process of starting up the business (toomanytoys on here = link.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

1664 wrote:

:rofl
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

stoneageman

Post by stoneageman »

1664 wrote:

Thanks 1664 :D

stoneageman

Post by stoneageman »

ghost123uk wrote:
stoneageman wrote: As i have drained the coolant partially, if i top it up with water and drive it there then ask them to flush it out when they have made the repair, will that do any damage-or would itbe ok for a short time? Any ideas?

If you mean top it up and bleed it etc with water rather than the 50% red anti-freeze mix then yes it will be fine. It's just if the engine has not had the correct coolant mix in it for extended periods the corrosion starts affecting the studs etc. Oh and of course they will be draining the water system anyway, it's hard to take the engine out without doing so ;)

If you do find the place you are taking it to is confident about doing it, (and that would be a surprise) and manage to actually do it successfully, please let us know. Currently there only seems to one or two places in the UK that can/will do this, and one of them is only just in the process of starting up the business (toomanytoys on here = link.

I've used the guy before at bug n buses in Southsea, Old boy who know his stuff. I think if anyone can he can. I'll let you know.
Thanks ghost. I'll top it up with water and some red antifreeze i think, just to be on the safe side. Maybe not 50% though

Yetti85

Post by Yetti85 »

Well all is done and back together took one piston sleeve a bit to far and the rings popped out the I broke the oil ring so had to buy a whole new new set of rings, so I replaced that piston with new rings changed the seals and carefully replaced the doing this with engine in situ and without removing the piston. Bit annoying but got there in the end. Only thing is now where my throttle cable was cable tied on the carb for some reason which I think was to keep it ticking over I can't remember how it went so the van doesn't tick over...... :evil:

Yetti85

Post by Yetti85 »

Well vans finished and running sweet all packed up and ready for a nice long drive to silverstone at 7am tomorrow morning can't wait. Some much needed beer drinking gonna happen this weekend I think. :ok

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Yetti85 wrote:Well all is done and back together took one piston sleeve a bit to far and the rings popped out the I broke the oil ring so had to buy a whole new new set of rings, so I replaced that piston with new rings changed the seals and carefully replaced the doing this with engine in situ and without removing the piston. Bit annoying but got there in the end. Only thing is now where my throttle cable was cable tied on the carb for some reason which I think was to keep it ticking over I can't remember how it went so the van doesn't tick over...... :evil:

Well done :ok
great feeling to do it yourself
its usual i have read( not done this myself) to have to remove glaze (glaze busting) from the barrel to get new rings to seal well quickly, you may be fine as its not such a long time since rebuild, or maybe you did this.
im not sure what the concequences are but perhaps low compression and oil burning until it beds in, somebody will be along to confim im sure.

enjoy the trip
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Aye, very pleased for you :ok

Especially as you did it with the engine in situ :shock:

For future "searchers" and maybe for the wiki, can you tell us anything we might need to know regarding any issues arising from doing it in situ ?
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here