Overheating after 2.1 conversion

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Re: Overheating after 2.1 conversion

Post by AdrianC »

1_eyed_jim wrote:Since being a 2.1 it has had a new thermostat, thermostat housing and temp sender (both blue and black).

D'you know the source of the 'stat and senders?

Here is my thinking.....if the thermostat opens sooner it will let hot coolant travel to the radiator sooner to be cooled thus giving a lower temp on the temp gauge. No??

Yes, but if the coolant's cooler than the normal temp range, the engine won't be in the most efficient temperature band. It may be running richer as a result, and internal wear may increase.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1_eyed_jim
80-90 Mem No: 9011

Post by 1_eyed_jim »

Been out probing and here are the results.

With the temp needle at its pictured position 20 minute run and fan kicking in every few minutes......

Thermostat housing 75c down to 70c after fan

Radiator 89c then fan kicks in and drops to 50c ish during fan

Large pipe to left of thermostat housing 82c dropping to 80 with fan

Water pump constant 89c

What you think? From what I've read these temps all look normal so it seams the fault is with the gauge or sender. The sender is new from BW so would be looking at replacment gauge.
Davvy - White Hightop 1986 2.1 DJ

Visit our Ebay shop http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Brick-Parts-UK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

1_eyed_jim wrote:so it seams the fault is with the gauge or sender.
Sounds about right to me.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

thing is....if you know all is good with the engine, the guage is irrelevant, surely....as long as it doesn't change from ITS normal position, that is ok isn't it?? You have done all the checks, and all seems well, or I have mis-understood

regards
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

1_eyed_jim

Post by 1_eyed_jim »

We are currently on the A47 on our way to dubs at et hall and have broken down. One of the pipes from the bleed ring has burst! Hoping RAC can get the hose we need from Bus Magic in Peterborough and get on our way.

Hoping it was just a weak pipe!

Visit our Ebay shop http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Brick-Parts-UK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

1_eyed_jim wrote:We are currently on the A47 on our way to dubs at et hall and have broken down. One of the pipes from the bleed ring has burst! Hoping RAC can get the hose we need from Bus Magic in Peterborough and get on our way.

Sorry to hear this :(

But, have "we" mentioned yet in this thread the blockages that can often happen anywhere around the bleed ring and it's associated pipe work ? They can (and did to me once) cause the coolant in the left hand head to cease to flow, this then boils, the Dalek cannot cope (or may be faulty) and the resultant pressure causes hoses to blow, starting at the weakest link (ask me how I know this :roll: )
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Oh yes, I just found it =

ghost123uk wrote:
1_eyed_jim wrote: Also a blockage was found from the bleed ring to the heater distributor.
And yet another one to add to the list.

Are you sure there isn't another blockage somewhere ?
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

1_eyed_jim

Post by 1_eyed_jim »

ghost123uk wrote:
1_eyed_jim wrote:We are currently on the A47 on our way to dubs at et hall and have broken down. One of the pipes from the bleed ring has burst! Hoping RAC can get the hose we need from Bus Magic in Peterborough and get on our way.

Sorry to hear this :(

But, have "we" mentioned yet in this thread the blockages that can often happen anywhere around the bleed ring and it's associated pipe work ? They can (and did to me once) cause the coolant in the left hand head to cease to flow, this then boils, the Dalek cannot cope (or may be faulty) and the resultant pressure causes hoses to blow, starting at the weakest link (ask me how I know this :roll: )

Yes it was mentioned :) I did remove all pipes and flushed it through with a hose pipe and found one blockage. Bad luck I think

1_eyed_jim

Post by 1_eyed_jim »

5 and 3/4 hours later and 2 burst pipes later we have arrived! Thank you 80-90 and bus magic oh and RAC it was a group effort. Now where's the beer! :)