U Channel

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Combehatter
80-90 Mem No: 12761

U Channel

Post by Combehatter »

Hi,

I thought it was a nice day to go and do the rusty u channel on the sliding door. Got the old one off, flap disked the cill back to shiny metal, drilled the 6.5mm holes in the new bit and went to weld it...

That where the problems start. I am a novice welder, i'm getting the hang of it but only to add bits you won't see!

Every time I attempt to weld it fills the hole but doesn't penetrate the cill so pulls straight off. I am getting no "sizzle" just a buzz and the channel ends up looking a bit burnt.

Any suggestions where I am going wrong?

It's a supermig 180 and I have the wire speed and power set about halfway.

Ta

CH
1986 High Top, 1.9DG Petrol - Bubba

max and caddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: U Channel

Post by max and caddy »

Quite tricky to weld in a channel...try taking the shroud of your weld "end"...I pop riveted my rail on with sika flex on the back...stuck well and seals itself as well.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

i9 have an old shroud that i have cut down so the gas is still directed round the tip, wind the flow up and a 180 then wind it 3/4, and practice on a bit of scrap first
mm

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

I suspect the weld puddle is filling the drilled hole before it's had time to penetrate the bottom layer that you're welding to. Crank up the welder to a higher amperage but as already suggested, practice on scrap first.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

Combehatter
80-90 Mem No: 12761

Post by Combehatter »

After mucking about with the power and feed I got it on, cheers for the advice, I'm off to find some scrap and practice!
1986 High Top, 1.9DG Petrol - Bubba