My summer project ('82 1.6D T25 high top)

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

andyh10
80-90 Mem No: 12966

My summer project ('82 1.6D T25 high top)

Post by andyh10 »

Hello all
After buying my rust bucket/T25 last year, i finally got some time to do the work on it, weather permitting. It has the power to polarise people, either they see the potential for a lovely van or they see a pile of rust and an easy way to waste alot of money. the majority of people fall into the latter catagory.

i realise it needs alot of work (pics to follow) but would really appreciate the help and knowledge that the forums have to offer.

Main points really is the rust and inevitable MOT failure when that time comes, end of August to be exact. im not scared of spending the money on it. but need some pointers on how to spend the money, if you know what i mean.

its up on blocks just now. the gearbox has given in, i have a replacement for it but like i say i have been waiting for some more clement weather.

firstly any pointers or things i should look out for when changing the box?

secondly, parts, as you will see in the photos, a few of the sills/panels are very badly corroded, needing replaced i bet. but when i look at parts on JustKampers or the like i cant make head nor tail of the pieces i need to order.

im looking to do the majority of the work myself with the help of a couple friends and family who have the know how. but the more help i get off you lot the better. thanks for reading

Andy
Last edited by andyh10 on 31 May 2014, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: My summer project ('82 1.6D T25 high top)

Post by CovKid »

Do a few sections at a time and follow Mick the Metahead's thread (He should have called himself that!). If you remove box, DO check clutch. If its close to the studs, its time to renew - also check for roughness in release bearing - they do a lot of work.

Mind you, if you do unbolt clutch, get a clutch alignment tool or you'll be swearing like a sweary thing trying to shove box back on to engine. They're heavy enough as it is.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

andyh10

Post by andyh10 »

Thanks for the tips Covkid. Well progress report.

the old gearbox is out.relativley painless too, im sure getting the new one in wont be as easy. the box i removed is a 4 speed code is 091 301 211 A. I all ready have a replacement box, but the now that the old one is out i realise they are different. new box code is 091 301 211C. It has a different front where the bracket attaches and also the gear selection is further back.

is this a big issue? obviously im going to need a new rear linkage rod, and bracket. is there anything else i need to be thinking about when i put the new box in?

Andy
1982 1.6d hightop

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

thats well rotten, as said cut the crap out and replace as per original , many of the parts you need are not available. i make certain ones but would need to see your progress etc before offering some,
have a look here for an idea of some opf the areas you have on yours
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=93497" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
theres loads more and they may give you a hint at how these vans go together etc
good luck
mm oh and put your location in your sig as it helps with parts and help etc

DavidPallister
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by DavidPallister »

Wow, that's rotten! You're very brave :D

With regards to the gearbox, the part number you have given is probably the part no for that specific part of the gearbox case. You need another code number from underneath by the drain plug (should be 2 or 3 digits, letters and or numbers: AAP, 3H, 8E, DK etc) and look it up in the following link:

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/VehicleSpec ... fo/gbx.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This will tell you the specifics what you've got e.g. 4 or 5 speed, petrol or diesel, air or water cooled, specific gear ratios etc. Some gearboxes aren't suitable for interchanging due to differing ratios etc, or you need specific parts to fit such as linkages and mounting brackets.

Hope this helps

andyh10

Post by andyh10 »

DavidPallister wrote: Some gearboxes aren't suitable for interchanging due to differing ratios etc, or you need specific parts to fit such as linkages and mounting brackets.

Thanks David

its a DY code so is a diesel 4 speed GB but the mounting bracket and the linkage is different, like you say. Have you any idea where i could buy the appropriate parts? i've looked all over the internet and cant seem to find them.

Andy
1982 1.6d hightop

DavidPallister
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by DavidPallister »

I think it's a case of regularly scouring the classifieds on here and Brickyard for 2nd hand items, or put up wanted ads. Some of the breakers are on here and BY so might be worth PM'ing them (Billy397?, NW-VW, etc) with what you're after.

I think some of the nose mounts are available new, but are eye-wateringly expensive.

It may be easier to track down a direct replacement gearbox, so you're swapping like for like. You don't say whether your van is currently diesel or petrol, if it's a petrol and you're trying to put a diesel 'box in, the ratio's may not be suitable