Parts for 5 spd gear linkage

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

davidw
80-90 Mem No: 13556

Parts for 5 spd gear linkage

Post by davidw »

I'm following the guide on the wiki to overhaul the front of gear linkage on our new 5 speed 85 LHD westy joker. Thanks so much for the guide I'd never have tackled the job without it!!

When I took out the gear lever assembly I discovered the clinch bolt and most of the accompanying bits (spring, ball bearing) were missing. I ordered replacements for what I thought was everything from brickwerks but it turns out I'm still missing a couple of bits and I can't properly identify them.

The first thing I'm missing is the clip that holds the spring around the bolt (32 in the image below).

The second is labelled 23 in the image and I think Aidan referred to it as the damping ring in another thread.

Does anyone know where I can find these parts or even have any good pictures of them? What does the damping ring do and is it essential?

This is all new to me. This is our first T25 and the first time I've really got my hands dirty with any vehicle so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
David

1985 LHD Westy Joker pop top, 1.6TD, 5 spd.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Parts for 5 spd gear linkage

Post by CovKid »

E-clip. My local hardware shop had a box of them for £2.99 and they seemed to be every size imaginable. Made by Silverline if thats any help? If not a decent engineering place would probably havre something that would fit. You could try VW Commercial outlets too - stuff like that they can often get and its not a fortune. Not sure what the damping ring is though...
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

A piece of a rubber hose can be used for the damping ring. I used an 4-5mm inner diameter and 1-1.5mm thick one. It worked for me.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

davidw
80-90 Mem No: 13556

Post by davidw »

Thanks CovKid and ZsZ.

I found a suitable e-clip at the hardware store for 10 cents that fits perfectly.

I'll keep an eye out for some rubber hose or similar for the damping ring. Is it just to provide a bit of a cushion between the clinch bolt (31) and the retaining circlip (24)?
1985 LHD Westy Joker pop top, 1.6TD, 5 spd.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Would think so. Actually quite a few of these tiddly bits can be robbed from other things. The concertina hose from plastic oil funnels can come in handy as a gaiter on some parts of the gear shift rods. Wilco, the place to let the imagination run riot... :shock:

To be fair, its usually the price charged for tiny and/or plastic parts these days that prompts me to go visit a hardware shop. Its amazing what solutions you can come up with. Its too easy to click buttons online sometimes. You end up not using your brain and seeing all solutions purely in terms of money and how many days before delivery.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

As I figured out, the damping eing is in the V notch of the rod (31) and it keeps the ball (34) from sticking in the notch. And keeps the clicking noise of the ball down.
I will search for some pictures, but not sure I made some when did mine.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

lhd
80-90 Mem No: 1808

Post by lhd »

I used small rubber o rings on my old van,it worked a treat, I bought a box of different sizes from Halfords I think?
Rob.