Clutch woes

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tommin
80-90 Mem No: 9348

Clutch woes

Post by tommin »

Well after a six month weatherization, finally got the old girl out for our first fishing trip this season. We normally do a short trip first off to find and sort out the many little issues that generally arise when the vehicle has been left standing so long.

Anyhow to my woes. I believe that the clutch just went on us. Started with a loose rattling sound every time the pedal was depressed changing gear, then the rattling stopped only to find near on impossible to change gear, unless the old double clutch trick was used, though at times that failed, but manged the 200km home without a stop ha! No problem when idling or running in gear, no problem with pedal or pressure, just the engaging gear issue. When i got home, I switched off, restarted in neutral, engaged first and the vehicle was trying to move forward on its own??

Now what to do next? I have searched here and read a few of the clutch related issues, tried to find any videos on how to change clutches on these t3's, but with little joy. Only found in one of the articles which stated the engine needs to be dropped and in another stating it can be done with only the gearbox being dropped...... am confused!

Can anyone shed some light on my problem or point me in the right direction on which way to proceed. As usual I will be forever grateful.

Regards
Tom
Life is an oldie campervan
1983 1.6D Bus :)
1989 16D Caravelle C (Botched to 1.6TD) :(

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Re: Clutch woes

Post by Ralf85 »

I had a similar problem last year. It turned out not to be the clutch, but the problem was a worn out clutch slave cylinder. Slave replaced and problem solved.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

First off can we assume you have looked at the fluid levels?

Next thing to check is the slave cyl..is it moving?
Ok so if the clutch is not releasing then it may well need a new release bearing (that's the noise)...but while your doing that you might as well renew the lot..and I would remove the gearbox for that
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

Had similar issues last weekend. In my case the spigot shaft bearing fell apart.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

tommin

Post by tommin »

Strangely enough that is what happened to my Leyland tractor a couple of months ago. The spigot bearing was saw dust inside with only three ball bearings visible. Which ever way it seems i must drop the box to get in there to see the issue.
kevtherev / ralf85, how do i go about checking the slave cylinder, and how or should i say what should be replaced if it is that?

I will be honest and cannot say what it is that is why all the questions. The sounds i first heard were like a loose disc spinning round rattling the sides when i pressed the clutch in. The sounds stopped the moment the clutched were released, whether in gear or in neutral. Like i said earlier i can at times do a double the clutch when driving, but when the vehicle stops and you are holding the gear on the clutch, it will try to move forward.

All help and advice is invaluable and thanks to you all.
Regards
Tom

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

tommin wrote: how do i go about checking the slave cylinder, and how or should i say what should be replaced if it is that?

Slave cylinder
find it on the top left of the gearbox as you look from the rear
get somebody to depress the clutch
see if the actuating lever moves.
It may just need bleeding
or it may need replacing

my money is on the release bearing
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

tommin

Post by tommin »

Yeah know where it is, had to bleed system when i replaced the pipework, but will check it. I do not have the luxury of a lift or hole in the ground, so if i jack up the back end and drop the box off there onto a dolly is there any problems regarding the back being higher than front ie. oil spills etc... Read and understand the support engine bit and the order to disengage the box, is there anything else i need to do or know in advance. I may as well change the gearbox oil while it is out, which seals should i also replace?
Regards
Tom

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

Given the reported "rattling", I'd be looking at the release bearing first.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tommin

Post by tommin »

Kev tried checking the slave, got the missus out in the cold to pump the pedal (the pedal), could not see anything that should move??? stumped me on this, where on the slave am i looking?
Regards
Tom

AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

tommin wrote:Kev tried checking the slave, got the missus out in the cold to pump the pedal (the pedal), could not see anything that should move??? stumped me on this, where on the slave am i looking?
Below the slave's bracket - LH side of the gearbox. The slave pushes on a lever, which then rotates the shaft going into the bellhousing. There's surprisingly little movement.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

My money is on collapsing release bearing, same as Kev. It can sometimes transmit any wear to clutch springs too though. You really do need a clutch alignment tool though as you'll struggle like hell to get gearbox back in place without one if you have to replace clutch.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

tommin

Post by tommin »

Okay now things are taking a turn in a different direction? What is this alignment tool and where to get one? As for the slave thing, will try again once i get someone here to help out, the only down side of living rural i guess!
Regards
Tom

AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

tommin wrote:As for the slave thing, will try again once i get someone here to help out

Put your digital camera or mobile phone somewhere it won't move, and gets a clear view of the side of the slave and lever. Set it video recording. Up, down, up, down a few times with the clutch. Then watch the video back...

tommin

Post by tommin »

ha ha like it, will go and do just that, cheers matey!
Regards
Tom

tommin

Post by tommin »

Well will fall back on original plan, don't have a photo lab to get a decent shot of the slave........... lights camera action!!!!!!!!