Clutch woes

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tommin
80-90 Mem No: 9348

Re: Clutch woes

Post by tommin »

Okay just a quick update. Received all but one of the parts (spigot bearing) unfortunately bought via ebay it was a B&B part that never arrived (3wks). Reordered from Germany, it will get here quicker.

Have refilled the gearbox with 4.5L of sae80 api G4 oil, and fitted a new gear change nylon bush mount. The earth strap though still there will just clean as i have routed a larger one from the starter to the motor mount.

I would suggest to anyone removing their gearbox, if there is corrosion in and around gearbox/chassis mount, airblow the bolts holes, i was surprised how much crap came out. Because of this i decided to fill all bolt holes with metal filler (glue,paste whatever you want to call it) and redrill holes, i now have some piece of mind it is strengthened.

Will update some when I get the new bearing............ darn and the fishing season has started!

Couple of pics added

Life is an oldie campervan
1983 1.6D Bus :)
1989 16D Caravelle C (Botched to 1.6TD) :(

tommin

Post by tommin »

Well i can honestly say that was one of the hardest jobs i have ever done. Today spigot bearing came, spigot bearing fitted. New clutch fitted :D so far so good........ then down i go, almost the whole day, trying to lift the gearbox in place, all in the space of 2 feet underneath. I can tell you that 45 kilo gets heavier by the hour, especially when you are on your own. :( :( :(
I reconnected the drive shafts to help keep the unit sort of central, jacked up front, jacked up back, packing all the time as the unit seem to have a mind of its own and more than once seemed as if it did not want to go!!!! Anyhow after many a tedious attempts of alignment it finally went in, :D :D :D
Tomorrow will reconnect the starter and see what happens :lol:

To anyone who is deciding on dropping their gearbox, make sure you are over a pit, or on a lift and have someone there to help, otherwise you too will feel the pain :rofl

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I am on the last couple of bolts then mine is coming out! Pain got too much today so went to bed after most disconnected. Hope to drop it tomorrow if I can move. :D I am doing it on my own also.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

tommin

Post by tommin »

Oldie i feel your pain man i went to bed on the pain meds, it truly is a tasking job.

The old girl fired up first turn of the key, which proved my glow plugs and relay replacement was the right choice.

My clutch or maybe gearbox am having some slight issues. I know my oil reservoir is not full, under half (no oil and it's sunday :oops: ). I can though easily select reverse, 2nd and 4th smoothly, but cannot engage 1st, 3rd or 5th? Have I connected wrong, or not enough clutch i.e. low oil etc...? Anyone shed some light on this for me, i wanna go fishing next week :wink:

Oldiebut goodie

To my untutored eye/ear that sounds more like a shaft alignment/adjustment issue.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

tommin

Post by tommin »

Oldie no truer word said, well near anyway.

Everybody, the only statement i will make - "read the wiki over and over and over and over until you have it clearly inbedded in that brain box"

I made the simplest of errors that sent me into panic mode :oops: I connected the gearshift rod bracket at the rear of the gearbox when it should have been the front :oops:

This is without doubt thee best help site anywhere, i just wonder how many old girls have ended up in the breakers or left to rot.

Thanks to all for the great advice, and Oldie dose up on the pain killers before and after the gearbox job :ok

Oldiebut goodie

I am washing some down with coffee as I type this!
Once more into the fray. :lol:
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

schroe
80-90 Mem No: 12289

Post by schroe »

Just wanted to say thanks to all posters, currently in the same process and this is really a golden thread :-)
Now I got the gearbox out, any advice on cleaning it? looks like it came from an agricultural vehicle...
1991 VW Kombi 1.9 DG
Belgian vanthousiast

tommin

Post by tommin »

Only advice on cleaning is, outside very little just get the bulk of the grime off with simple detergent, don't try to hard. Inside I used a engine wash detergent and sprayed it with brake cleaner to get the bits of case grindings i had from the disintegrated clutch. Hope you are over a pit, it is heavy work positioning back on, good luck. :ok

schroe
80-90 Mem No: 12289

Post by schroe »

Sorry for hijacking this thread...
But now I got another problem, gearbox is off (also cv joints, might as well clean them up now I got the van raised) but it seems like my spigot bearing (or is it pilot, names seem to be interchangeable?) has disintegrated but still partly stuck in there :(
I was actually planning to try the bread method but now this doesn't seem like a viable option anymore, can I just go 'hardstyle' on it and try to pry it out with a screwdriver and some pliers?

http://1drv.ms/1z0qIZL
Picture taken before I did some cleaning, you can easily see the bearings

I'm not over a pit but on small ramps, which gives me 1.5ft extra, coupled with an extra set of hands (neighbour is also a T25-er) and some decent jacks, we are are hoping for not too many swearing when we get to putting it back together :)
1991 VW Kombi 1.9 DG
Belgian vanthousiast

tommin

Post by tommin »

I would still try the grease or bread method first (nothing to lose and no harm done) just make sure the bolt or steel bar you use in the center is a nice fit. Good luck either way.