Wont tick over

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

captaincalamity
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Wont tick over

Post by captaincalamity »

Wow Em

Sounds like a great idea, what kind of magnet, any links to what would work best, how do i get to the bottom of the tank, where is best to place the magnet?

Although thinking about it, why would it run ok when you keep the throttle on?

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

captaincalamity wrote:Wow Em - Sounds like a great idea, what kind of magnet, any links to what would work best, how do i get to the bottom of the tank, where is best to place the magnet?

I am not Em of course :roll: but I think I can answer. The magnet (pretty much any magnet, all sorts are on Ebay) needs to be near the bottom of the tank. This normally means taking the tank sender unit out of the top of the tank and simply dropping it in. Because it's a magnet and the tank is steel it will stick to the floor of the tank and attract any rust onto itself. However, because it is a magnet and some of the filler neck is steel, you cannot get it in the tank that way (or at least, by no means I am aware of), so it is quite a big job to do (on a T25).

captaincalamity wrote:Although thinking about it, why would it run ok when you keep the throttle on?

You do have a point there. If it was the strainer, it would likely run worse at high throttle, when fuel demand is at it's highest. Same with semi blocked filters etc.

Blocked jets on the other hand will cause your symptoms.

This may be irrelevant, or not. A VW Scirocco uses a very similar Peirburgh 2E carb. On ours, years ago, I had the same symptoms, ie intermittent no tickover / low speed running. This had me going for weeks, like you. What it turned out to be was most odd and a faff to sort out (and a bit tricky to even explain, I will try). There is a drilling in the carb body, like an internal tube, that takes fuel to the low speed jets. When I took my carb off, I tried blowing and sucking on the jets with a bit of soft silicone tube. Strangely I found that sometimes I could suck, but not blow :? Logic told me that "something" was intermittently acting as a "one way valve". Logic also told me this should not be possible as the little cone filter was in good nick, and there is no other way crud can get into that part of the carb.

Paragraph !

So, I noticed that at one end of this "drilling" (you can see traces of it's presence on the outside of the carb) there was a blanking plug at one end, just like a mini core plug. It drilled it and levered it out. Low and behold there was a tiny lump of what appeared to be rubber in the "drilling" (internal pipe way). It just fell out when I turned the hole downwards. God knows how it got into there ! I filled the place where the blanking plate had been with a cut down bolt that was an interference fit, helped with a bit of epoxy resin :wink:

It worked fine after that.

Not saying this is your issue, probably isn't, but just could be ;)

Might be worth checking jets with the carb off (20 minute job). Maybe sucking and blowing as I did, you never know.
Trouble with splitting the carb is you nearly always need a new gasket ! (does anyone know where you can get just the top to bottom half gasket for a 2E2 ?)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Just stick the magnet on the outside... at the bottom

when it cuts out do you check for anything?
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

I wonder if a powerful magnet (Samarium Cobalt) would have enough field inside the tank to attract rust if it was stuck on the outside of the tank. I feel an experiment coming on (not on a T25 tank, summat similar !)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

ghost123uk wrote:(does anyone know where you can get just the top to bottom half gasket for a 2E2 ?)

I bought a couple of float chamber gaskets from Gower and Lee (item number 22 in this diagram - £3.75+VAT each).
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

I must admit....I was thinking about a good strong magnet on the outside.... :oops:

Tis easy to do... and full revs MIGHT be enough to suck fuel through...whereas tick over isn't? Who knows??? Mine's intermittently quietly falling away at idle. sometimes. not always. can't make it do it on the drive!! grrrrr!!

Or..for a laugh...when it does it...drive one side on and off the kerb....hahaha! May be enough to move whatever it is needs moving. :rofl

Em
xx
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Or swerve erratically all over the road :rofl

No I'm not drunk officer (hic) - I'm just trying to redistribute my rusticles...

Actually, that sounds rude :shock:
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Post by Smosh »

CovKid wrote:Or swerve erratically all over the road :rofl

No I'm not drunk officer (hic) - I'm just trying to redistribute my rusticles...

Actually, that sounds rude :shock:

:rofl
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.

captaincalamity

How about something like this

http://www.first4magnets.com/pot-clampi ... pull-p6589" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

has 64KG pull, so I might have cars being attracted to my rear end everywhere I go

ermie571

Post by ermie571 »

captaincalamity wrote:How about something like this

http://www.first4magnets.com/pot-clampi ... pull-p6589" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

has 64KG pull, so I might have cars being attracted to my rear end everywhere I go

OOOOOEEEERRR MISSUS!!
You could always put it down to your magnetic personality!!

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

(trouble is, petrol tank at the front...best be prepared for side impact from mopeds....)

captaincalamity

UPDATE: Fitted the 65KG pull magnet to the underside of the fuel tank.....GLANG as it snapped totally solid to the fuel tank followed instantly by a rushing sound of bits attaching themselves to the force of the magnet... luckily I chose the position i wanted the magnet to be in pretty well as to remove it would be tricky.

Anyway, drove all the way to Oxfordshire from Eastbourne and back, stopped over camping, got caught in plenty of traffic jams and the van never did this cutting out trick, perhaps its just fluke or coincidence, who knows, still wouldn't mind have the carb completely stripped and rebuilt with all new gaskets at some point.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

captaincalamity wrote:perhaps its just fluke or coincidence, .

Still not convinced huh?
A weltrh of experience bestowed upon you ...and it's a fluke :D
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

captaincalamity wrote:GLANG as it snapped totally solid to the fuel tank followed instantly by a rushing sound of bits attaching themselves to the force of the magnet... luckily I chose the position i wanted the magnet to be in pretty well as to remove it would be tricky.

Haha - I pictured exactly that when I saw the advert for this magnet. I've got a few of these magnets - nothing that strong - and they can be little buggers if they snap together with your fingers between them. I liked the idea of the countersunk hole - I thought at first you could put a fixing through it before applying it to make it easier to remove, but then I realised that 65Kg is virtually what I weigh, so it would still be almost impossible to remove from a fuel tank.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

ermie571

Post by ermie571 »

Wow - sommat I suggested helped!!

Going for a lay down!!

hahaha

Glad van ran ok.....fingers crossed it lasts a while!!

Em
xx

captaincalamity

kevtherev wrote:
captaincalamity wrote:perhaps its just fluke or coincidence, .

Still not convinced huh?
A weltrh of experience bestowed upon you ...and it's a fluke :D

Ohh Im more than convinced by all your help for sure, just not convinced the ole van wont let us down with the same problem :shock: