better braking wanted

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bluedirtydigit
80-90 Mem No: 12603

better braking wanted

Post by bluedirtydigit »

I know the brakes are not likely to be as good as a modern car but I would like better brakes than I have got at the moment, I find and I don't know if it's normal for these vans that I tend to leave quiet a long distance from the cars in front to allow for braking, the brakes are quiet hard ie no soft pedal but the stopping power is not great I don't mind spending the money to replace all the braking components but don't want to if not needed or there is no improvement to be gained. Is there a mod available? or has anybody had the same problem and improved there braking? any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Mike
VW T25,, Viking pop top 1.9 Volvo v70 estate, 1300 vw beetle trike, FJ1200 motorcycle.

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Re: better braking wanted

Post by California Dreamin »

It can be done but not cheaply...baring in mind that anything bigger won't fit behind those 14 inch wheel rims, so you are in to a new set of 16/17 inch wheels and tyres before you start.
Personally....all my brakes have been replaced during my ownership and I find them quite adequate, even good, under most situations.
Once setup and adjusted correctly they are fine...however, under more extreme driving the standard brakes can certainly reveal their short comings....like driving down the Gotthard pass in Switzerland a couple of summers back when I swear they nearly caught fire! but like I say...absolutely fine 99% of the time.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

As Martin said it can be done but not cheaply.

These for the front - http://busschmiede.de/shop/T3-2WD-BUSSC ... derachse_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's 1100 € please sir plus a set of 15 or 16" wheels another 400 €

Then on the back a set of Silverbullet's rear disc conversion - I don't know what they cost but there are not too expensive.

And finally a BMW servo up front - about 100 €

Or you can just make sure that your standard set up is up to scratch with new fluid, pads, shoes and maybe some braided hoses.

I've been on standard brakes for over 10 years and like Martin I have had no issues.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

After fitting 312mm front brakes i must say i was seriously underwhelmed TBH!

As TDA has said, i would make sure OE brakes were all fine fettle then fit a BMW servo, Charlie Transporcher did it and said it was the single most effective upgrade. :ok

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

I have had 4 T25s over the years and have found the brakes to be pretty darn good on all of them. After all they were designed to carry a ton of van + a ton of bricks (et al) :shock: so a lightly loaded camper should not be taxing on the brakes IF they are working correctly.

This bit =

bluedirtydigit wrote: the brakes are quiet hard ie no soft pedal but the stopping power is not great

Makes my worry that yours might not be right. A "hard" brake peddle may be a symptom of the servo simply not working. (could summat as simple as a dodgy vac pipe)

Do you have anyone near you who knows T25s well that could give it a test drive to confirm (or not) that the brakes are in some way inadequate ? (before you spend a wad of cash)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

Agreed. Unless you're upgrading the power, then the standard brakes are fine - even for 112bhp of DJ-powered lardy Westy. Assuming, of course, they're working properly.

I'd start with new discs/pads/fluid, and a damn good clean-up of the calipers to make sure they're sliding properly. Give the back brakes a good clean-up, and replace whatever needs replacing.

The pedal's not exactly feather-light, but it shouldn't be HEAVY. If it is, then maybe your servo's playing up or there's a vac leak to it.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

AdrianC wrote: The pedal's not exactly feather-light, but it shouldn't be HEAVY.

True, my other half is not exactly ms Universe ( :roll: ) but she recently had to do an emergency stop that locked everything up with a simple stamp on the pedal. (I know that's not how it should be done, but at least she didn't crash into the idiot that pulled out in front of her!)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

I went to bigger brakes (303mm vented) actual stopping power is not massively better, but I don't tend to get brake fade how on long descents. Which is the reason for going to vented
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

faggie

Post by faggie »

I fitted Porsche brake pads Goodrich hoses and a uprated bmw servo and the difference is unbelievable

bluedirtydigit

Post by bluedirtydigit »

Thanks for all the replies guy's I think I will just do as suggested and have all the brakes apart and make sure each part is working as it should and replace what is not, I will definitely change the brake lines as they have probably been on there from day one and have probably gone a bit on the soft side as they do.

The brakes do work fine just not as good as my car, what got me thinking about if there was an upgrade available was I saw a t25 tailgating a caravan and I though apart from what an idiot! there was no way I could do that and stop if I had too in a hurry may be he couldn't either I don't know.

I will do a refurb and let you know the outcome is there a particular BMW servo to use?
Mike
VW T25,, Viking pop top 1.9 Volvo v70 estate, 1300 vw beetle trike, FJ1200 motorcycle.

bluedirtydigit

Post by bluedirtydigit »

faggie wrote:I fitted Porsche brake pads Goodrich hoses and a uprated bmw servo and the difference is unbelievable

Which ones did you use?

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

As said, its simply not worth it unless you've got a Scooby in there. Just sort the ones you've got. Check your discs for starters. Mine pulls up no problem.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Post by billy739 »

new brake fluid every 2 years - as vw recomended

don't forget to remove / strip the brake valve from under the vehicle as they can seize , or block up with grudge.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Mind you, if you need better brakes all the time, you may not be leaving enough distance and thinking time. I've had to whack on the brakes hard a couple of times and its stopped me no prob and very quickly. In my experience its not the brakes you have to worry about so much as the tyres.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

CovKid wrote:In my experience its not the brakes you have to worry about so much as the tyres.

Very true. Healthy brakes should be able to lock the wheels. So long as they get to that point, it's not the brakes that are governing your stopping distance, but the tyres.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;