better braking wanted

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Wobba
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: better braking wanted

Post by Wobba »

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I am looking at helping a mate upgrade his 1980 T25 1.6 (non-servo spec) brakes. I am thinking I can fit the servo system from a 2.0L spec and maybe upgrade to the BMW servo as well for an instant boost to braking? Not sure if these lower spec ones had the vacuum feed plugged up or If I'd need to uprate that part as well...

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Post by billy739 »

its not just a 2.0
every other model apart from the early 1600's have servos fitted and hydraulic clutches and all the bits are the same , slight differences in how the pipe connects to the engine and auto brake resivor. all but very early master cylinders have 2 brake light switches as well

the manifold should have a vacumm take off which is blanked off
you will need the vacumm pipe , servo , master cylinder , I am pretty sure the pedal box is different too

all parts are best sourced 2nd hand no issue if all good. some faffing about and dash out , but not a major job.

you will have a cable clutch as well , you could change to hydraulic as well but this will have some involvement as you need to change the clutch pedal / clutch arm

depends on your budget.

also location in your profile may help with parts location / or potential people to assist

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Or you could go an easier route and fit one of the many "remote servo kits" available. I have (many years ago) used these to good effect on many vehicles. See = HERE and HERE You just find a convenient place to bolt it and then route the vac and hydraulic pipes to it, no messing with pedal boxes etc etc.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Post by billy739 »

its easy to fit the standard bits and no probs if it goes wrong .

find a breaker with a van to go , so you will have all the bits . maybe able to fit it all as well.

prob have the stuff here in Gloucester

Verne
80-90 Mem No: 13453

Post by Verne »

chapperss wrote:Nice! :shock: another good use for garden hose!!

Thanks, I was struggling to spot what was wrong :?

:run
Verne

KEIF - '87 1.9DG T25 Tin-Top Camper
LILIBUG - '67 1200 Beetle resto project

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

billy739 wrote:its easy to fit the standard bits and no probs if it goes wrong .

find a breaker with a van to go , so you will have all the bits . maybe able to fit it all as well.

Good point :ok

(in case you didn't know billy739 has lots of used T25 spares)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Wobba

Post by Wobba »

Thanks guys, that's brilliant info. I need to go check the van and take a few snaps of what's under the dash and the pedal box. Good to know the vacuum point is there and I won't need to change that part as well!

Once I get my head around it I will be looking for some parts :)

Wobba

Post by Wobba »

ghost123uk wrote:
billy739 wrote:its easy to fit the standard bits and no probs if it goes wrong .

Good point :ok

(in case you didn't know billy739 has lots of used T25 spares)

I've had a good look at the T25 today. Lots of stuff to fix, but generally a sound vehicle. I'll PM billy in a bit! Thanks :)