Engine Trouble

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Roydini
80-90 Mem No: 5119

Engine Trouble

Post by Roydini »

Afternoon folks.
So, I was driving home the other day and noticed that there was a steady drip of oil coming from my 1983 1.9 Petrol Joker. The engine was sounding fine and the VDO gauge was reading a normal 80ish degrees plus I was in a hurry and had no time to investigate so I left it in the garage for a couple of days with a tray underneath until I had time to investigate further - I did check the dipstick tho and this read virtually empty. Yesterday I went back to the van and discovered that most of the remaining oil in the engine had escaped - the dipstick read completely empty and there was approximately half a litre of oil in the drip tray. I poked around underneath and it seemed that the oil was coming from the oil filter seal. I removed it and fitted a new filter, then topped up with oil until the dipstick read full, then left it for an hour to see if there were still any leaks. So far so good. Then I went to start the engine to disperse the new oil and......nothing. Not a jolt from the engine. This was the first time I had tried to start it since noticing the leak. I am worried that the engine may have already lost so much oil and continued to do so that it then seized up in the hours after I left it as it started to cool down. Does anyone have any opinions on whether or not its game over or perhaps there is something else I can try before calling in the grave diggers? Needless to say i have already checked the battery and connections with a multi meter and it appears to be fine.

I've prepared myself for the worst news so I'm ready for anything!

Any ideas or guidance would be massively appreciated.

Thanks folks

Henry
LHD 1983 1.9 DG Petrol Pop-Top Westfalia Joker

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Re: Engine Trouble

Post by Ian Hulley »

They don't tend to seize up while parked for a couple of days :shock: Didn't you get a flashing red light telling you you had low oil pressure ?

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

Roydini wrote:Then I went to start the engine to disperse the new oil and......nothing. Not a jolt from the engine. This was the first time I had tried to start it since noticing the leak.

What's happening? Anything? Nothing? Any noise from the starter motor at all? Lights working? It's entirely possible that in your panic, you managed to leave it with the lights on or something, and now have a flat battery...

It probably won't have seized. If it was going to seize, it'd have done it whilst you were driving, and - as Ian says - you'd have had warning from the oil pressure light and the noises. B'sides, if it was merely "virtually" empty beforehand, then you may well have still had oil.

Either way - it's a lesson. If you notice what you think is a small problem, check it out before it turns into a big one and bites you.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Roydini

Post by Roydini »

Hi Ian. No there was no oil pressure light, but then i dont remember ever seeing one in six years which makes me think it must be faulty! I too am puzzled, even if the oil level had been catastrophically low when I parked up surely switching off the engine and topping up with oil a few days later should have been ok?

AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

Roydini wrote:but then i dont remember ever seeing one in six years which makes me think it must be faulty!

If you turn the ignition on now, does the oil light come on...?
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Roydini

Post by Roydini »

You're absolutely right Adrian - a lesson indeed! The battery appears ok, I'm getting a good 12.90v from my multimeter. When I turn the key I can't hear any noises at all and the lights still work. Is there a way of turning the engine over by hand to ascertain if things are still moving inside?

Thanks guys

AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

Roydini wrote:When I turn the key I can't hear any noises at all

Not even a faint click?

and the lights still work.

Do the headlights dim (or the voltage drop) when the starter motor should be turning the engine? But no oil pressure light...?

Is there a way of turning the engine over by hand to ascertain if things are still moving inside?

Yep. Take the plugs out (make it easier to turn), first. Then a big socket onto the crank pulley nut, and turn away. It should rotate easily. Obviously, make sure it's not in gear...

<thinks> Is it an automatic? Is it in P/N? Just another "Oooh, bugger!" moment possibility.

Roydini

Post by Roydini »

I'm not with the van at the mo Adrian so can't comment on the oil light. I'll go check after dinner.

Roydini

Post by Roydini »

Thanks for the good suggestions Adrian. No it's a manual but I'm hoping its a doh! moment and not something worse!! I'll check the battery/starter motor again and then try turning it by hand as you described. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again

littlecharlie
80-90 Mem No: 9351

Post by littlecharlie »

I have a 1.9dg as well. A while back I parked up after work & everything was fine....got in it next morning & turned the key, nothing. No sign of life apart from the lights on the dash, battery was good & all it ended up being was the ignition coil. Replaced it and all good, only cost me 30quid and a piece of cake to do.
Just for the record I'm no expert but thought i'd share what happened to me, it may be coincidental that it won't start after the oil issues........
T25 Transporter - 1900 petrol - DIY Conversion - German LHD import

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

I think the OPs starter is not turning the engine over littlecharlie.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Could be as simple as a signal wire off the starter BUT that wouldn't explain any of the 'oil issues' at all .... to be honest IF you were 'missing' your engine oil it would be rattling like very badly, terminally overheating and usually have the 'missing' oil sprayed all over the tailgate :shock:

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

pionte
80-90 Mem No: 8209

Post by pionte »

If the engine was seized solid, when you turned the key and the starter motor engaged you would soon know that something was wrong, the lights would dim, there would soon be a smell as the starter wiring got hot....

I have heard of 2 stroke engines seizing after being turned of .

I suspect a poor earth or duff battery, or maybe ignition switch ( strange it has just happened) is the van parked on the flat or a slight incline? may be possible to take handbrake off, and rock the engine whilst in gear , or as Aidan says, big socket on the crank pulley... not even necessary to remove the plugs, should still be able to rotate the engine fairly easily.

No oil light ever :shock: There should be 2 red lights on the dash when you turn the key onto the first position before you crank, worth checking and fixing that too.
Good luck, lets hope its something simple
2.5 Quad Cam Scooby engine . Westfalia California 1989

1_eyed_jim
80-90 Mem No: 9011

Post by 1_eyed_jim »

This happened to me once and it was a loose wire on the ignition barrel. Worth checking I guess...
Davvy - White Hightop 1986 2.1 DJ

Visit our Ebay shop http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Brick-Parts-UK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Roydini

Post by Roydini »

Crisis averted, thanks so much for all your advice folks. This forum and the time people put into it is absolutely fantastic. I followed your advice and turned the engine over a few times by hand from the crank pulley bolt then cleaned and checked both battery connections, HT leads and distributor cap and hey presto it started up first time. Sometimes I worry more about these little problems that almost seem to fix themselves! The major oil leak seems to have stopped now also with the new filter fitted. Now I am just left with the very light, but annoying drip from one of the pushrod tubes. The mechanic who identified this leak a year or so ago said it wasn't a massive problem, just required more frequent than normal topping up and not particularly good for the environment but given the panic that ensued after this little episode I think I might follow your advice and nip it in the bud before it gets worse. I've heard of those telescopic replacement pushrods and seem to remember seeing a thread or two on the forum so I'll follow that up. Anyone had experience with these and care to comment?

Anyway, thanks again!