Random Oil Leak

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

The Martins
80-90 Mem No: 12825

Random Oil Leak

Post by The Martins »

Hi there,

Just bought a 1979 2l Petrol Air cooled T25.

This is my first VW and a novice engine wise I am afraid.

It runs well, starts ok but seems to have an oil leak which I need to locate. Wondered what thoughts you may have?

The first time I noticed it was after it had been on a long run and left a oil track from the point of reversing onto the drive and parking. It sat there for a while and a few more drips came down to form a patch at the rear of the vehicle, about a dinner plate size.

I checked the level after it had cooled, which was low, put more in to the correct amount.

I went for a 20min drive a few days later, no oil track on leaving the drive, no oil leak approaching the drive on return home but..... A track from the start of reverse to point of parking.

Checked oil level, needed a drop more to get back to normal.

A few days later, went for a 10 min drive, no track leaving, got to destination, no track when reversing into parking bay, no patch, no track n leaving the bay. Drove a further 10 mins, no tracks no patch.

Drove 15/20 mins home, no track approaching drive but.....reversed onto drive, stopped periodically (remained in gear) then continued reversing into parking spot. Oil track all the way through reverse and a BIG patch where I stopped periodically!?!

Points to consider:

- The drive is only very slightly sloped, so slight it's not immediately recognised.
- Perhaps the oil has thinned by the time I get home (20min journey).
- The underneath all seems coated in oil, not just one spot in particular, although I need to clean it off properly to best highlight area.
- no oil showing in the engine bay.

SO ANY POINTERS FOR THE NOVICE?

jason k
80-90 Mem No: 1959

Re: Random Oil Leak

Post by jason k »

9 times out of ten it'll be the pushrod tubes leaking. best bet is clean the underside off with gunkand then start it up, you'll soon see where its leaking.

if it is the tubes is a easyish job on a Aircooled motor , the parts are peanuts and how to do it is all explained in the wiki
98 Westfalia James Cook

The Martins

Post by The Martins »

Thanks - it wouldn't be anything to do with reverse would it? It's not logical is it?

tobydog
80-90 Mem No: 6484

Post by tobydog »

I would also check the oil pressure switch and the petrol pump if its still got the mechanical one fitted. The pump has a drain pipe which drains oil onto the tinware.
Knowledge is power
1970 CU

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

The Martins wrote:Thanks - it wouldn't be anything to do with reverse would it? It's not logical is it?
No
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

The Martins

Post by The Martins »

Knowledge is power - bang on!!

How do you mean 'mechanical pump' ?

Cheers chaps.

The Martins

Post by The Martins »

Ignore my last - just read up!

72BUG
80-90 Mem No: 7393

Post by 72BUG »

Agree with the above.

90 percent of the time it's the push rod tube seals. Tell tale signs are oil slicks on top of the exhaust heat exchangers.
Martin.

Diesel is an engine not a fuel.

I liked camping so much I went full time.

The Martins

Post by The Martins »

Another thing - it gets really really warm in the front of the bus, even with heater off or on cold?

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

The Martins wrote:Another thing - it gets really really warm in the front of the bus, even with heater off or on cold?
flaps siezed :rofl or cables siezed or no cables ans fixed open
mm

72BUG
80-90 Mem No: 7393

Post by 72BUG »

Yeah if you have heat leave it alone. You're already better off than 90 percent of the Aircooled vans on the road. :lol:
Last edited by 72BUG on 21 Sep 2013, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
Martin.

Diesel is an engine not a fuel.

I liked camping so much I went full time.

The Martins

Post by The Martins »

That made me laugh.

I mean the air changes hot or cold as determined by the dash controls. Don't think there is a problem with that. It just seems to get ver very warm in the bus.

If the engine is not running right / pressures, mixtures etc - could that cause heat build up to a point of feeling it in the bus?

You can tell the is our first!!

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

haha, yes your right in so far as the slider control should control the heat by virtue of them being connected to cables and then flaps at the rear , have you been under and checked they move and indeed are fitted :wink:
mm