Help please!!

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

voodoopenguin
80-90 Mem No: 11131

Help please!!

Post by voodoopenguin »

Well having said recently that the Turkey has been 100% reliable, this morning it decided to come to a halt about three miles from home. It's a diesel, it started perfectly this morning (as usual) and drove fine getting out of the village and on to the open road. Doing about 50mph and the power just went, put it into neutral and the engine coughed a couple of times and died so I coasted to a halt. Fortunately there is a wide grass area so well off the road. Battery very healthy but wouldn't fire up again.

As there had been no signs of a problem up until then I'm wondering if I've run out of diesel, I might as well blame myself before the Turkey. The needle is just on the red zone so in most vehicles that would be fine however in all the time I've had it I don't think it has been that low before so the gauge might be out. We have had diesels for years now and I know that running out of diesel is not as simple as running out of petrol, something about having to pump the fuel through again however I have never done it and and haven't a clue. I should add my dear wife rescued me so I'm back home now but the van isn't.

I could just ring the RAC and get them to sort it out or I could have a go myself. Is there a nice easy step by step description about what to do to get the fuel through again or can someone let me know what I need to do please? Do I need special tools, more than one person?

Of course the possibility is there that it isn't a lack of fuel but something else. Just losing power and dying is not a very comprehensive list of symptoms but there were no problems up until then and it's a diesel so I guess electrics can be ruled out. Any thoughts what else it might be?

Many thanks in advance of the wonderful advice that I'm sure will be pouring my way ;)

Paul
1984 Devon Moonraker with Gasure LPG - Now sold :(

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Re: Help please!!

Post by New Kentish Campers »

This might help: http://www.vwdieselparts.com/forum/view ... hp?p=42470" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)

T'Onion
80-90 Mem No: 255

Post by T'Onion »

Stick some fuel in it and crank it over , most self bleed , it will take a while and if your battery is in good nick you should be fine . it will cough and fart and stall a few times but stick with it .
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Have you changed the fuel filter recently, if not have you drained the water from it recently? I would undo the fuel banjo connection on the fuel inlet and check that it isn't blocked. When mine ground to a halt it was obvious that fuel wasn't getting through and I traced it to the banjo which appeared to have fur in it! Cleared this and a few cranks later she was firing up again.
It could be electrics if the fuel solenoid isn't opening due to poor connection - can you hear it click when you switch on? (ignore any relays that you may hear from the fuse box area)
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

voodoopenguin
80-90 Mem No: 11131

Post by voodoopenguin »

T'Onion wrote:Stick some fuel in it and crank it over , most self bleed , it will take a while and if your battery is in good nick you should be fine . it will cough and fart and stall a few times but stick with it .

Went back with a gallon of diesel, cranked it over for about a minute, it coughed, it spluttered it fired up and is fine. Thanks for all the suggestions.

So although I can lay a little of the blame on an innaccurate fuel gauge I am very pleased to say that the Turkey is fine and it was mainly my own fault for letting it get that low. Noted for the future.

Paul
1984 Devon Moonraker with Gasure LPG - Now sold :(

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Putting a hand primer in the fuel line is handy for such occasions, makes changing the fuel filter an easier job to.
Available in 6mm or 8 mm pipes.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8mm-Fuel-Prim ... 53e89536bb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Chunksta
80-90 Mem No: 12514

Post by Chunksta »

Glad you got back OK Paul.

Sagemagoo
80-90 Mem No: 8215

Post by Sagemagoo »

bigherb wrote:Putting a hand primer in the fuel line is handy for such occasions, makes changing the fuel filter an easier job to.
Available in 6mm or 8 mm pipes.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8mm-Fuel-Prim ... 53e89536bb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bigherb - handpump placed between the filter and ip?
1985 1.6TD Gipsy
1966 MGB
2005 1.9TD Convertible Beetle

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

It can be, but better before the filter.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

lhd
80-90 Mem No: 1808

Post by lhd »

I have had 2 diesel vans in the last 8 years, and have never changed a fuel filter or even drained one. :oops:
Rob.