Sorry Non V Dub......Renault

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

peteabbott
80-90 Mem No: 4672

Sorry Non V Dub......Renault

Post by peteabbott »

Can anyone offer any advice on this please ? My daughter has a Scenic and last week she turned on the ignition then turned to start and nothing AHA you say solenoid wire ! Nope, got the A A man out and nothing wrong with the starter and he checked and tested all the connections that could have caused this fault. Son in law then came home and said it had happened to him before. He shook the car and hey presto it started ? A A man was stunned ! This has happened twice since and again a gentle shake gets it away...........how odd is that ? I have checked and cleaned every connection including relays and fuses and still it happened again. Any ideas folks ?
Pete Abbott

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Re: Sorry Non V Dub......Renault

Post by weldore »

Has the cover been removed to access the lights in the passenger wheel arch and not been put back Pete ?
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

badgerfax
80-90 Mem No: 2316

Post by badgerfax »

I'm sorry can't help with your problem other than to say that in my experience Renault scenic's are a pile of cr@p and I really do wish I had never bought ours :x :x :x :x

Ours loses power going uphill & engine light comes on. £130 for new EGR and still no good :twisted:
This is after spending out for new belt tensioners, then Water pump, wheel bearings all this year.

Could have bought a newer car for the money we've spent this year. The cars only done 70k too :x

Anyhoo, Best of luck fixing your daughters :ok

I'm off to buy a Golf
Twist my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska.

petethefeet
80-90 Mem No: 12639

Post by petethefeet »

For our sins we are on our 4th scenic, the first was a 2l petrol that was very thirsty, the rest have been DTi and DCi diesels 2002 & 2003, 40 to 45 mpg. I am not sure if I would get a newer one too many things to go wrong.
I had a similar problem with mine that was a dry joint in the fuse box under the bonnet; it would start some times, then not.
I think they have a cut out in case of an accident, could it be that?
1982 2 litre CU Auto Devon Moonraker called Brian

big red bus
80-90 Mem No: 3421

Post by big red bus »

you dont say what engine or what year. have plenty of strange happening with anything french or italian

peteabbott

Post by peteabbott »

badgerfax wrote:I'm sorry can't help with your problem other than to say that in my experience Renault scenic's are a pile of cr@p and I really do wish I had never bought ours :x :x :x :x

Ours loses power going uphill & engine light comes on. £130 for new EGR and still no good :twisted:
This is after spending out for new belt tensioners, then Water pump, wheel bearings all this year.

Could have bought a newer car for the money we've spent this year. The cars only done 70k too :x

Anyhoo, Best of luck fixing your daughters :ok

I'm off to buy a Golf

Agree with that, in just two years she has had a water pump, drive shafts and front wheel bearings and numerous visits from the A A for non starting problems not related to the present fault,
Pete Abbott

peteabbott

Post by peteabbott »

Yes Weldore Dave. Daughter had both headlight bulbs go in two consecutive days.........is there a link do you think ?
Pete Abbott

petethefeet
80-90 Mem No: 12639

Post by petethefeet »

We had some very odd things happen to the 1.9DTi scenic; running after the ignition was turned off, had to stop it by putting in gear and lifting the clutch, with odd lights coming on. It turned out that I had replaced a rear light bulb with a single filiment bulb when the original bulb was twin filiment one (stop/tail light) the single contact on the bulb put current into odd bits of the circuit when the brakes/lights where used. swapped bulb over, all fixed. It was the symptoms of a bad earth. I almost pulled the car apart before I worked it out :oops:
Electrics .... the work of the Devil!!!!
1982 2 litre CU Auto Devon Moonraker called Brian

weldore

Post by weldore »

peteabbott wrote:Yes Weldore Dave. Daughter had both headlight bulbs go in two consecutive days.........is there a link do you think ?
Did the covers get put back on ?.
They are notorious for water getting into the engine bay fuse box if they are left off.this then rots the fuse box contacts

weldore

Post by weldore »

on the subject of french wiring looms...which were actualy made in worksop... I had a problem with no rear wiper and heated screen then on the last mot they said the number plate lights didn't work.
I cut back the rubber gaiter that the wires run through from the tail gate and was faced with this.....

SILVERFOX2013
80-90 Mem No: 12850

Post by SILVERFOX2013 »

hi im no expert but wife had a fiat punto that did this and i found out in the end it was the earth strap chassis to gearbox was a bad conection cleaned it up
and no more trouble the car use to cut out not start till you rocked it :wink:
1981 t25 devon 1600 ct

peteabbott

Post by peteabbott »

Thanks boys,
I am on the case today and will check the tailgate wiring (horrendous picture Dave ) She now has the service light on also but I think I can reset this by holding in the trip counter button and turning on the ignition ? We will see. This is why I love my van, no electronics and by just replacing the wipers I have increased its value by another tenner :ok
Pete Abbott

weldore

Post by weldore »

I found that the only way to rest the service light is to repair the problem..is it a 1.9dci ?
it will display 'injection fault' when started and the service light will remain on ..90% of the time this is a glow plug down