Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

graeme1210
80-90 Mem No: 3483

Blocked cat?...

Post by graeme1210 »

Not the feline or Mrs Slocombe variety.

1987, 2.1 MV engine - US spec with Cat.
Oil/filter/air filter/coolant/plugs/dizzy/fuel filter etc etc all changed about 2,500 miles ago.

Driving back from devon to london last night we were crusing along very happily at 65-70 on the 303. Joined the M3 and sudden loss of power. Juddered a bit and it slowed to around 50 before we decided to take the first exit off. Pulling up to lights it starts to stall and all the dash warning lights blink. Reluctantly revs back up again to get us to safety.

We pulled into a carpark and awaited the aa. It was very very hot at the back of the van. Temperature gauge was fine - just north of mid way, where it always is. Coolant level fine and oil all fine too. Fuel well over halfway so shouldn't be any dregs and that was all replaced recently too.

When the aa man finally arrived the van was cooler and it started up fine ran ok. After a few tests he suggested a run around for a bit to get it up to temperature, which we did. All fine. So we set off again with him following again all fine for a while then slight judder and loss of power. Pulled into the services and he checked it over again, AA man said that just as we lost power there was a small amount of black smoke, he noticed the cat and did a temperature check on it. was over 150 degrees hotter towards the silencer end than the input end - he suggested the cat was blocked as all other running is fine.

So, if it is the cat, can I replace just a bit of the exhaust? Just a piece that replaces the cat? rather than the whole system at £500? Or a new UK silencer - is the UK silencer longer than the US one to make up the cat space and is there space for lambada probe to go in. Or do I need to change the whole thing?

Anything else I might need to check out?

This added to a slight electrical malfunction on the way down and just noticed 2 front tyres need sorting means quite an expensive trip!

Many thanks for the help.
Graeme
Last edited by graeme1210 on 28 Aug 2013, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
1987 Vanagon GL 2.1 MV engine code

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Re: Blocked cat?...

Post by mrhutch »

I would get the cat chopped out. An independent exhaust place should be able/willing to chop the cat and replace with straight though pipe, you will then see if the honeycomb is blocked.
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

graeme1210

Post by graeme1210 »

Thanks,

Removing the cat seems like a plan, just need to fill that gap with something that has a space for the sensor. I have just emailed Brickwerks to see what they have in their stock to try and sort it out.

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

You need a CAT by-pass pipe to remove the CAT, it just fills in the gap, most have the required boss to refit the oxygen sensor (Lambda probe)...but I'm betting your fault isn't anything to do with the CAT and is much more likely to be the Lambda probe breaking down.
Mine would do exactly the same as yours, randomly over fuel, slowing to a stop, until the probe was replaced. It's easy to diagnose, just follow the harness back to it's connector and when the fault next occurs, simply pull the plugs apart (disconnecting the sensor). The system reverts to fail safe mode and the fault (over fuelling) instantly disappears.

I've since replaced my whole exhaust system for a SS Brickwerks item....no CAT but a CAT by-pass pipe, WITH PROBE in place.

I'm betting if you just remove the CAT your problem will still persist.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

graeme1210

Post by graeme1210 »

Will change the probe too. Nowhere I've found seems to have the CAT by-pass with a lambda boss at the moment. If anyone has one or knows somewhere with stock please let me know.
Cheers Graeme

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Post by mrhutch »

just buy a lambda boss and weld it in (or get someone to weld it in for you!)
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

vanisveryrusty
80-90 Mem No: 12326

Post by vanisveryrusty »

Tin of prunes may help .
Only wear the hat if it fits

California Dreamin

Brickwerks do have them but they are SS so over £70...

http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/t ... nless.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

DuaneEddy
80-90 Mem No: 11978

Post by DuaneEddy »

Hi

Brickwerks website say's they might be a 8 week leadtime for this part - It's worth a phone call before you order.
1983 Hi-Top Autohomes Kamper T25 1.9DF Early Cooling 4 speed - Running on LPG - BLOS Carb

vanisveryrusty
80-90 Mem No: 12326

Post by vanisveryrusty »

http://www.mijexhaust.com/?gclid=CIno3Y ... tAodL2wAXw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would probably be able to make you a stainless steel one if you have a pattern part to copy.
Only wear the hat if it fits

graeme1210

Post by graeme1210 »

Brickwerks out of stock and may be no more coming in. Will probably get something made up. Cheers

printmonkey
80-90 Mem No: 11456

Post by printmonkey »

DuaneEddy wrote:Hi

Brickwerks website say's they might be a 8 week leadtime for this part - It's worth a phone call before you order.

I hope not, I ordered one last night.
US Import Vanagon GL Westfalia (Subaru EJ25)

California Dreamin

I was going to say...Not out of stock when I checked earlier and the 8 weeks lead is just when they run out and I was told (by Staff at Brickwerks) the popularity of the SS system has lead to them pretty much always having them on the shelf.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

printmonkey
80-90 Mem No: 11456

Post by printmonkey »

Yup, still says in stock, I tried to order in June when my CAT disintegrated but Michael had sold the last one that morning. Can't wait to get mine sorted, I whacked a couple of self tappers in but it still rattles like a melon farmer!
US Import Vanagon GL Westfalia (Subaru EJ25)

California Dreamin

My CAT started rattling really badly, especially when cold. The exhaust was generally in a bad state so the decision was made to change the lot!

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV