Fuel expansion tank breather hoses/pipes

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tonydata
80-90 Mem No: 11975

Fuel expansion tank breather hoses/pipes

Post by tonydata »

Yep, mine are shot, filled up at petrol station for long run, thought... "What's that smell?" look under van... about £10 fuel pi**ing all over the forecourt!

Is Brickwerks the best place to get replacements? Do I need to buy 4 off? They're all shot I think... so 4 x £30...?

Any advice before I'm a have a go hero muchly appreciated! :D
1986 Transporter 1.9 w/c Tin Top

oorwullie
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Fuel expansion tank breather hoses/pipes

Post by oorwullie »

it's standard fuel pipe and not expensive, even where i live 120 quids worth would buy you a lifetime supply for about 10 vans. :lol:
ochaye thenoojimmyhaudmaheedtillastickmabunnetoanit

RedGus
80-90 Mem No: 11893

Post by RedGus »

Are you talking about the rigid pipes (2,3 + 4) or the flexible ones (15)? Or both? The rigid ones are just 6mm pipe, so can be remade in copper if they are rusted through. The flexible hose is just standard 5.5mm ID fuel hose, in short lengths. Both these things are generic parts, like this:

Copper pipe link

Fuel hose link (drag the box to choose size you need)

Where did you get the idea that this would cost £120 (4 x £30)? These parts would cost under a tenner, including delivery.

James
1982 Aircooled 2.0 CU Devon poptop

RedGus

Post by RedGus »

Beat me to it, Oorwullie! Must learn to type faster...

tonydata

Post by tonydata »

RedGus wrote:Image

Are you talking about the rigid pipes (2,3 + 4) or the flexible ones (15)? Or both? The rigid ones are just 6mm pipe, so can be remade in copper if they are rusted through. The flexible hose is just standard 5.5mm ID fuel hose, in short lengths. Both these things are generic parts, like this:

Copper pipe link

Fuel hose link (drag the box to choose size you need)

Where did you get the idea that this would cost £120 (4 x £30)? These parts would cost under a tenner, including delivery.

James

Thanks James, looking at the diagram I'm actually talking about 16...

tonydata

Post by tonydata »

I'll get a pic in a bit...

RedGus

Post by RedGus »

The flexible hose (16) is exactly the same hose as the flexible hose (15), just a different length. Can you actually see where it is leaking? Are you thinking that it is the balance pipe between sides of the tank (1 on the diagram)? That DOES cost about £30 as a complete new part, but it is basically two of the little plastic junction pieces with a length of hose between them. Unless the hose is split, or the plastic junction piece(s) are broken, it's probably more likely to be the flexible hose causing the problem.

tonydata

Post by tonydata »

Here we go... one side's obvs gone before as has new pipes and jubille clips... the other side is the one that's knackered and had the luxury of my bodged electrical tape repair...

Mine...

Previous...

So yeh... just looks like some of that rubber tube and jubilee clips I need...?

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

tonydata wrote:So yeh... just looks like some of that rubber tube and jubilee clips I need...?

Don't even need clips. There's no fuel pressure on them, and it's just a push-fit. A length of hose from any motor factors, cut to the same length as the old ones, and push together. The ones in the pic are 15. 16 are the other end of those hard plastic lines, connecting them to the tank. You can change all eight (two each of 15 and 16 per side) with the tank in situ.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tonydata

Post by tonydata »

AdrianC wrote:
tonydata wrote:So yeh... just looks like some of that rubber tube and jubilee clips I need...?

Don't even need clips. There's no fuel pressure on them, and it's just a push-fit. A length of hose from any motor factors, cut to the same length as the old ones, and push together. The ones in the pic are 15. 16 are the other end of those hard plastic lines, connecting them to the tank. You can change all eight (two each of 15 and 16 per side) with the tank in situ.

Cheers AdrianC! :ok 8) :D

oorwullie
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by oorwullie »

i would also add my personal opinion that these vapour expansion tubes have very little ( like nothing at all ) to do with 2 gallons of fuel spraying on the ground when you fill the tank......... :idea:
ochaye thenoojimmyhaudmaheedtillastickmabunnetoanit

AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

oorwullie wrote:i would also add my personal opinion that these vapour expansion tubes have very little ( like nothing at all ) to do with 2 gallons of fuel spraying on the ground when you fill the tank......... :idea:

Replacing those hoses certainly solved our van peeing everywhere when filled.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Arripay
80-90 Mem No: 12333

Post by Arripay »

Thanks for the diagrams, have had exactly the same problem but had no idea the fuel system was so complicated. Not sure I understand why the need for all the pipes and expansion tanks, need to do some reading.
Mine seems to be spilling from the tank area, need to get right underneath to have a look.
Recently had to leave petrol station in a bit of a hurry due to a rapidly growing puddle under van, drove like the clappers to try and use some juice up, all good.
The hills on the A30 soon dropped the fuel level so I could no longer smell it :ok

AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

Arripay wrote:Not sure I understand why the need for all the pipes and expansion tanks, need to do some reading.

The tank has a valley in the middle, because of the gear linkage passing above it. If it didn't have those cross-over pipes, you wouldn't be able to fill the other side's "hill", since it'd just airlock. The pipework's to allow air to pass between the two halves and escape, as well as allowing expansion due to temperature changes.

RedGus

Post by RedGus »

AdrianC wrote:The tank has a valley in the middle, because of the gear linkage passing above it.

... and as a hang-over from the need to get the air-cooled heater tube from engine to cab. :D