Sourcing an engine

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MattBW
80-90 Mem No: 11790

Re: Sourcing an engine

Post by MattBW »

I think the important to thing to ask with any recon, is what have they reconditioned exactly?

There are lots of well known cases of certain companies in the London area especially that would just do a few basic checks, if the engine sounded mostly ok they would spray them and put them back in and send you a nice bill for doing very little. They've been caught under various names even on Watchdog and just start up as a new company. Recon generally means minimal work to get it running again and isn't a worry free option. If there are any other faults in the engine that haven't presented themselves they will still be there.

A full remanufactured one is more expensive but should be like new in theory. Just be sure to ask them exactly what you are paying for and what they have specifically reconditioned. When my 1.6d gets replaced Ill probably got for a remanufactured one, but I have the luck to have a remanufacturer in the family.
1985 1.9TD AAZ -Starlight Interior
2015 California Beach

MattBW
80-90 Mem No: 11790

Post by MattBW »

Incidentally my current engine is a vege recon, on about 27k and runs nicely. however it does consistently vibrate some of its bolts out. We are systematicaly chasing them round and trying to eliminate the vibes, we think just from bad fitting by previous owner thankfully.

Also if its a partial recon or recon parts be aware that if your fitter doesn't fit it properly they can invalidate any warranty so get someone who knows their stuff.
1985 1.9TD AAZ -Starlight Interior
2015 California Beach

bokobillycamper
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by bokobillycamper »

Our recon engine sounded like a bag of spanners from the first start up. How anyone could dispatch something like that I don't know.

Then wants it back with all our stuff attached so it can be listened to and diagnosed.

No thanks.

Pete.

Trundler
80-90 Mem No: 2998

Post by Trundler »

chuckle-bus-tom wrote:
lughole wrote:
chuckle-bus-tom wrote:Stick a GTI in it!

Well? Gimmee the lo-down!!

It's the route I'm going to go down when my DG finally blows up. GTI out of a Mk3 Golf (whole car is about £500) plus conversion parts (bell-housing, new mounting points) for £250 ish, plus labour and probably a stainless exhaust and it probably comes in comparable to fitting a recon.

Pros: speed, fuel economy, easier to source parts
Cons: insurance increase, tools & skills needed

You forgot about the loss of the Wasserboxer's character - surely a major part of the appeal of these vans..... for non-philistines of course. :wink:
1987 Type25 Transporter Syncro 2.1DJ
+ some other less important vehicles...
80-90 member no. 2998

poshbuggers

Post by poshbuggers »

Done this to my ex-DJ bus and it is a transformation.

Overtaking, pulling out and the feeling of the van generally being more able for modern driving is well worth it.

Add to that parts availability, reliability, fuel economy and it really is a no brainer.

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)

poshbuggers

Post by poshbuggers »

GTI is my recommendation.

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)

helga592

Post by helga592 »

bokobillycamper wrote:
We had an engine from this company some problems with the first engine, But it all got sorted in the end.
1.9 watercooled hightop on LPG
Reliant ss1

bokobillycamper

helga592 wrote:
bokobillycamper wrote:
We had an engine from this company some problems with the first engine, But it all got sorted in the end.

What was involved in the sorting out? Did you send the whole thing with your parts back to them?

Sounds like they sent more than one engine to you....

Thanks,

Pete.

uniB
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3694

Post by uniB »

When ever the subject of recon engines comes up there's never a definitive answer of who's good and who's not - there's always someone who's had a bad experience with everyone who's mentioned. I will also be looking for a replacement engine later this year, The Engine Shop look like a reasonable choice , the list of replaced parts looks pretty comprehensive (listed here: http://bit.ly/J7GCHr) and if they are attending to all this stuff they must be doing more than checking it's running and respraying it :shock: ?

It would be great to get my engine rebuilt by someone who knows what they're doing but I'm sure that'd cost big money and I've not seen anyone recommended - anyone got any recommendations or experience of that?

Dav, Caryl & Mr O Leary

http://www.dubteriors.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - I make quality VW interiors

chuckle-bus-tom
80-90 Mem No: 4368

Post by chuckle-bus-tom »

Trundler wrote:You forgot about the loss of the Wasserboxer's character - surely a major part of the appeal of these vans..... for non-philistines of course. :wink:
[/quote]

It's taken me a few years to come to terms with the thought of loosing the boxer, but I think keeping the engine VAG keeps the mind at ease!

NigelM
80-90 Mem No: 8598

Post by NigelM »

It would be great to get my engine rebuilt by someone who knows what they're doing but I'm sure that'd cost big money and I've not seen anyone recommended - anyone got any recommendations or experience of that?[/quote]

UniB I've got a rebuilt 1.6 GTD engine done by RES in Sheffield sat in the garage ready to go in end of Sept/Oct, will let you know, happy so far but proof of the pudding etc.

Nige
89 Syncro Binder Pueblo Poptop Camper

Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

uniB
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3694

Post by uniB »

NigelM wrote:
UniB I've got a rebuilt 1.6 GTD engine done by RES in Sheffield sat in the garage ready to go in end of Sept/Oct, will let you know, happy so far but proof of the pudding etc.

Nige

That's interesting to know Nige, what were the costs like, similar to recon or a lot more? Wonder if they can rebuild 1.9DG?

Dav, Caryl & Mr O Leary

http://www.dubteriors.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - I make quality VW interiors

chuckle-bus-tom
80-90 Mem No: 4368

Post by chuckle-bus-tom »

Is that Laurant Petit (or whatever his name is) still knocking about? His rebuilds were reportedly the best, by a mile, but cost a lot even if you could find him and persuade him to do it. Bit like the A-team.

helga592

Post by helga592 »

bokobillycamper wrote:
helga592 wrote:
bokobillycamper wrote:

What was involved in the sorting out? Did you send the whole thing with your parts back to them?

Sounds like they sent more than one engine to you....

Thanks,

Pete.
Bit of a long story but each time it went wrong had to take the engine out take most of the ancieries of put it on a pallet and send it back. This happened a few times P.S Each time it went back it got a bit of a knock from being in transit.
Nik
1.9 watercooled hightop on LPG
Reliant ss1

bokobillycamper

[/quote]Bit of a long story but each time it went wrong had to take the engine out take most of the ancieries of put it on a pallet and send it back. This happened a few times P.S Each time it went back it got a bit of a knock from being in transhite.
Nik[/quote]

Hi Nik,

That's what we fear and have decided to return the engine and claim back through the credit card if necessary.

We know of a running CT so will go for that.

Pete.