Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Re: EliteVw

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

Ralf85 wrote:Calm down. That could be as simple as a knackered rocker box gasket. I had one fail on a 'new' recon engine on my old air-cooled bay. The oil just poured out. I called my breakdown service (I was out on the road at the time wearing clean clothes). As I carried spare gaskets I told the breakdown guy the problem and how to fix it. 10 minutes later, I topped up the oil and off we went again.

The quality of these gaskets varies a lot. Some last for years, others are sub standard and just leak straight away from engine pressure. If that is the problem buy two new ones from Brickwerks, just in case the other gasket fails too. Fingers crossed.
:ok

WHS^^^...

Don't buy cheapo gaskets... :shock:

Fit OE quality rocker box covers.. :)

Don't use Goop... :shock: :shock: :shock:

and put the spring clips on the right way round... looking 'sad'... :) 8)

Aircooleds don't leak if they are done right....

Cordialement,

:ok

Tobyt25
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Tobyt25 »

The culprit is a leaky fuel pump. Volkstop said it was a fairly good job and the engine was running lovely..., although i wish i payed the extra and got it dine by them in the first place. Lesson learnt!

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

Apologies if this comes across as sounding funny mate, but if it was fitted ok and the engine is running sweet, why would you want to lay out any more of your hard earned than you already have to another company to do the same job?

Glad all is ok with it after the hassle you've had! Might be worth putting an ad in the wanted section for the part you need as someone may have one gathering dust.
'86 DG, Weber Carb

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

Will they not offer to sort out the cost of the pump....based on their late completion and 700 under estimate ....i would have thought that was a small price to pay for customer satisfaction.
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

Tobyt25

Post by Tobyt25 »

300CE wrote:Apologies if this comes across as sounding funny mate, but if it was fitted ok and the engine is running sweet, why would you want to lay out any more of your hard earned than you already have to another company to do the same job?

Glad all is ok with it after the hassle you've had! Might be worth putting an ad in the wanted section for the part you need as someone may have one gathering dust.

The customer service i received by Elite was very poor and I'm still awaiting the paperwork, which i have chased up a couple of times now. The engine is fine and runs well. I just get the impression Elite want your cash and thats all that matters. . Volkstop have been excellent, and i think there re con would have been 5* plus they are only 10 mins away if anything goes wrong. I just meant, Elite are cheap and do the job, but cheap is not always best. Hope this has been helpful for people in similar situations.

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

Fair enough mate! As Keith has said, might be worth giving Elite a buzz just to see if they'll do anything regarding the pump - you never know. :ok
'86 DG, Weber Carb

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

300CE wrote:Apologies if this comes across as sounding funny mate, but if it was fitted ok and the engine is running sweet, why would you want to lay out any more of your hard earned than you already have to another company to do the same job?

Hafta agree here.
Even Volkstop said it was a good install and engine. :?
It seems to me that this has been good value for the money paid.
Pay more and not only do you get your engine installed, a warranty.... you get some paper, your head stroked and your back patted. :D
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Tobyt25

Post by Tobyt25 »

There is no warranty without any paperwork! There is no proof when the engine was installed or how many miles it has done either, if it ever gets sold.

Tobyt25

Post by Tobyt25 »

Phoned up to complain for the 3rd time about lack of an invoice/paperwork. They said' ill do it now and e-mail it' they asked how much i payed, i said it was around £2300 but id have to check the exact amount. To which they replied ill just put that down. Price breakdown was as follows...
2.0l cu engine supplied and fitted £2300
Total. £2300

They didn't really want to know about the fuel pump. Engine runs well tho so swings and roundabouts i suppose.

keith

Post by keith »

Sorry to sound blunt....but whats your point here.
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

keith wrote:Sorry to sound blunt....but whats your point here.
Seems fairly self-explanatory to me.

For a business where fine tolerances, quality and accuracy are vital - do you think that such a sloppy and lax attitude to commercial paperwork reflects well? Yes, I know that there's a big difference between the machine shop and the front office - but, surely, the owners and management should have a similar attitude to their whole business?
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tobyt25

EliteVw

Post by Tobyt25 »

I thought i would have had a breakdown of the cost, especially as it was around £1000 over the estimate.

It's not a mate doing the work or a friend as a favour! this is supposed to be a vw heritage expert garage. I expected a professional job, which included paperwork. I expect the same kind of service i get when i take my new car to a garage. Especially when paying the same labour rates. There lapse attitude doesn't fill the consumer with confidence. 2 grand is allot of money to me.

My main point was just to warn people they are not as good and professional as there website makes them appear.

The warranty is not worth the paper it's printed on! (Broken fuel pump)
Last edited by Tobyt25 on 16 Oct 2013, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

I've used them, wouldn't again.. More for timekeeping and communication than anything else
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

vanisveryrusty
80-90 Mem No: 12326

Post by vanisveryrusty »

I have no idea about how good or bad Elite may be.
One day I may be in need of a replacement engine so evaluation of products and services is of interest to me .
I do have an idea of how to measure value for money, which reaches beyond the "i have had a good service", or "I have had a bad service " emotionally driven responses.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>What is the cost of the same service and product from their nearest competitors ?<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Would be a good way to objectively evaluate the "worth" of their offering.

??
Only wear the hat if it fits

keith

Post by keith »

AdrianC wrote:
keith wrote:Sorry to sound blunt....but whats your point here.
Seems fairly self-explanatory to me.

For a business where fine tolerances, quality and accuracy are vital - do you think that such a sloppy and lax attitude to commercial paperwork reflects well? Yes, I know that there's a big difference between the machine shop and the front office - but, surely, the owners and management should have a similar attitude to their whole business?

Adrian...you miss my point by a fair margin.

My question was.....whats the point of posting it on here....do something about it...then tell us what you did to resolve the issue.
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes