Fitting an accelerator cable

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ccarpenter79
80-90 Mem No: 9245

Fitting an accelerator cable

Post by ccarpenter79 »

Hi all,

The accelerator cable on my van has always been botched since I changed the engine with a chockblock at the engine end and now it has snapped at the pedal end! I have bought a new cable for my LHD Westie (2.0 CU) but have realised that the old cable was just tied onto the spring connecting to the carb linkage rod, looking at my haynes manual there is supposed to be a tensioning pin and a retainer there. Anybody know where I can get one of these or is there a way round it. I assume the cable from JK won't be long enough without them.

Thanks.
I know nothing - always assume this!!
Chris - 1981 Aircooled Westy

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Fitting an accelerator cable

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

ccarpenter79 wrote:Hi all,

I assume the cable from JK won't last long enough.

Thanks.

Amended that for you. (Just Krappers stuff isn't very highly thought of - if you haven't gathered that from the forum) :lol:
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Tysoe
80-90 Mem No: 9737

Post by Tysoe »

Yes you should have a long pin type bit that attaches to the end of the cable which then goes through a barrel clamp on the linkage. mine is then held in the barrel clamp with a circlip but i'm not sure if there should be something else holding it in as I've never been convinced a circlip is sufficient, especially as it did come off at the weekend on the A11. Easily fixed but has prompted me to look into it further.

Not sure about sourcing these parts new, i eventually found mine on ebay. Cable won't be long enough without it.
1981 2.0 CU camper

Kelvyn
80-90 Mem No: 11303

Post by Kelvyn »

Bumping this as just found that mine is missing the tensioning pin too, any suggestions on how to fit accelerator cable without one?

How the old one was fitted - complete with a chocolate block....

New cable....
1982 Aircooled • KTM 640 Adv • Honda VFR800