Brake parts

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Tysoe
80-90 Mem No: 9737

Brake parts

Post by Tysoe »

Hi guys,

Just need a quick check that i'm ordering all the bits i need to replace my brakes, front, back and both sides.

I'm ordering from Brickwerks:
2x front discs
1x pads (set of 4)
1x Front pad fitting kit
1x rear brake kit (shoes, cylinders, fitting kit)
2x front bearing kits
Grease

It says on brickwerks that i need new bearings for the front but why is this? is it just a recommended thing to do at the same time as the front discs/pads?

Anything i've missed?

Cheers
1981 2.0 CU camper

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Re: Brake parts

Post by AdrianC »

Tysoe wrote:It says on brickwerks that i need new bearings for the front but why is this?

Because the bearings fit into the disks themselves. There's no separate hub, like there is on a "normal" front end. You _could_ move the old bearings into the new disks, but the risk of mullering them is high.

If you ask those nice people at BW very nicely, they'll press the races for the new bearings into the disks before shipping them, then it's a really straightforward swap. Took me about an hour a side, including nattering with various passers-by.
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=117088

I presume you've identified which calipers you've got fitted.

Since you're planning on doing the rear cylinders anyway, have you had a look at the state of the pipework? Give the flexis all round good sceptical glare, too. It's a really good opportunity to change the fluid completely (including the clutch), since you'll be bleeding the rears anyway.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tysoe

Post by Tysoe »

Fair do's, i guess they know what they're talking about

It's an 81 van so i'm assuming the early pads are the ones to get but i will have a check before i order as i'm hoping to get everything in and out in one sitting without the need to order any other bits, hence the post.

Will have a good look at the flexi pipes too to make sure they're ok, aswell as adding fluid to the list

Cheers
1981 2.0 CU camper

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

You might feel more comfortable ordering the 'whole lot' but if this were to come into a garage most customers would be up in arms at 'automatically' replacing parts that don't necessarily need changing.
In all my years of knocking IN & OUT bearing races I have NEVER knackered one up....that's probably more than a hundred sets although I've not been counting. So with respect to Adrian, I would say the chances of damaging the races is low.
However, the convenience of having new bearings 'to hand' IF the old ones are showing signs of wear, compels most to add them to the list (not something I would do myself though).
Same with the wheel cylinders and fitting kits (front and rear) you don't necessarily need them but again....having them to hand.

It just adds an awful lot of expense if the parts aren't needed.

I have to admit to living within 5 miles of 3 good motor factors (GSF/Eurocarparts/Sutton Auto Factors) so having THAT convenience is NOT my priority.

A brake fluid change is definitely a good idea (needs doing every 2 years anyway) DOT 4.
Genuine front flex's are about £25 the pair....I wouldn't bother with braided hoses.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

California Dreamin wrote:In all my years of knocking IN & OUT bearing races I have NEVER knackered one up....that's probably more than a hundred sets although I've not been counting. So with respect to Adrian, I would say the chances of damaging the races is low.

Point of order, Sir! I was merely explaining why BW say to order as a pair.

(I'd also suggest that you are considerably less of a ham-fist muppet when it comes to moving the races from old to new disc than most...)
Last edited by AdrianC on 08 May 2013, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

California Dreamin

Ner tis me...playing devils advocate as usual.

As you know...removing them is easy, knocking them back in, well....admittedly there is a knack.
However, I would presume (oh dear, that's not good) that anyone undertaking such a task has a degree of..lets say competency and as I regard this as 'easy to medium difficulty' on the easy/medium/hard chart, they shouldn't have too much trouble.
If on the other hand this task scares the living daylights out of them, then perhaps they shouldn't be doing it in the first place?

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Tysoe

Post by Tysoe »

Thank for the info guys. I'll do the bearings regardless as i'm unsure when they were last done, same goes for the brake fluid, it's not been done in the 2 years I've had the van!

If i can get the guys at brickwerks to knock in the new races then all the better
1981 2.0 CU camper

faggie

Post by faggie »

i would also budget for a pair of front splash guards and rear backing plates as they are guaranteed to be knackered

fairwynds
80-90 Mem No: 3288

Post by fairwynds »

... and maybe some new bleed nipples too.. check your old ones want to budge and are not to fecked first. And that very cheap, handy rear brake adjusting tool BW do too?
1.9 DG Bilbos 'Arragon' Hitop LPG'd by Gasure
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

California Dreamin

And the metal brake pipes, oh and the top wishbone bushes and perhaps polibush the rack ^^^^^^^^^^^^just do what is needed, as an owner of a 25 plus year old van there are going to be plenty of opportunities to spend money on it WITHOUT changing stuff unnecessarily.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

They are just suggestions Martin.

I am of the ..if it ain't broke blah blah.. But the op did ask.

Top wishbone bushes
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Tysoe

Post by Tysoe »

lol thanks guys but i'm not made of money

£250 is enough for one month! Sods law dictates that there will in fact be some extra part i find that needs replacing that you've all missed! I guess that's what i get for trying to be organised

Ta
1981 2.0 CU camper

AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

Tysoe wrote:Sods law dictates that there will in fact be some extra part i find that needs replacing that you've all missed!

Ain't THAT always the case...