no oil light, now no indicators and stalled.

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

karl40
80-90 Mem No: 0

no oil light, now no indicators and stalled.

Post by karl40 »

Hello all, can anyone help point me in the right direction on this one. Took the engine out in the summer and gave the old girl some TLC with new complete exhaust new water pump radiator and flow and return coolant pipes, all lovely. Changed the oil switch as the old one dripped oil. After that it never came back on, thought i had reconnected it wrong but check Haynes man all correct. Engine sounded great so put that on the back burner, then over the last three weeks noticed when cold a slight hic up as if not firing well. Once warm fine but today its started to cut out and stall and when the hazards went on nothing, no flashing lights just a faint green light which stays on all the time unless you pull the key. The starter has been getting slow but starts fine, could this be a bad earth. the van is an 1900cc DF 5 SPEED Pop top. I just need a bit of reassurance i am not barking up the wrong tree, thanks as always this site is my comfort blanket and i could not have kept this van on the road without your help .

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: no oil light, now no indicators and stalled.

Post by kevtherev »

Lot of short trips?
Have you checked the battery voltage?
does the alternator charge the battery ok (13.2v +)

the recent cold weather will kill a weak or uncharged battery.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

karl40
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by karl40 »

Thanks for getting back Kev, I did give it a good long run the day before probably 70 mile round trip. After we got back i did say how well she did and then wallop! Do i need to check the voltage across the battery terminals or at the back of the alternator, by the way i renewed the alternator only a 6 months ago. Would a dicky battery cause my cutting out as it happened again yesterday on the way to work...not good. The head lights also went out and coasted to a halt, but she started first time an i took her back home. Red neon always comes on on starting and then goes out on starting as she should.....still battery what do you think.

DevonMark
80-90 Mem No: 11545

Post by DevonMark »

This sounds similar to my problem (see alternator thread below)
1989 1.9l WBX hi-top
https://twitter.com/mark_lee