noise from the rear.

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

karl40
80-90 Mem No: 0

noise from the rear.

Post by karl40 »

Hello all i have been tidying up the old girl for the winter and have just finished when i have developed a rather loud clanking sound which sounds like its coming from the rear drivers side. Its not all the time and you can go a day and then all of a sudden it sounds like a charging police horse, then quietens down. Would i be right in thinking CV joint as it ease's off when you dip the clutch but won't disappear totally. I have seen the whole side replacement kit which includes an inner and outer C.V with adjoining axle for just under £80 on ebay, what do you guys think.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: noise from the rear.

Post by kevtherev »

yes... either that or the bolts are loose

Please...only buy quality new parts.
Brickwerks do not sell crap or say it's suitable when it's not, I would recommend them.
I have found that buying cheap parts is false economy.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

jason k
80-90 Mem No: 1959

Post by jason k »

He's not wrong!!
Lots of nasty cheap stuff available
Buy once, buy right www.brickwerks.co.uk
98 Westfalia James Cook

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Or buy the premium quality ones from GSF. They're fine too. Buy their cheap ones or chance your arm on any bargain ones and you'll do the job twice.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

karl40

Post by karl40 »

Took both sides off in the rain today and the drivers gearbox side was very sticky and dried out and looked like the original one. The passenger side has been changed at sometime and appears fine, just needs some new bolts and a boot now. There is pitting and scoring on the bad side so i will be buying a new one, thanks for the heads up everyone.

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

Make sure you have good bolts too, the cheap ones are worse than bad and the locking washers that go on them, retorque them after 50 miles or so.

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ge ... nts_repair
member 1168

karl40

Post by karl40 »

I have refurbished one side both inside and out with a through clean ,re packed and new bolts and boots and washers...fine. That side went straight back like a dream, lined up the top bolt and the rest just followed no problem. The other side i have renewed both in and outer C.V completely and the road wheel went on fine but its the dif connection to the inner c.v is not lining up properly when i get the first bolt in. Its fits in to the recess part of the dif connection but wont pick up the bolts...they are a fraction out, it might just be me getting cold and tired outside today. But i am thinking could i have been sent the wrong c.v joint when the pack of two came, as i said the first one......not a problem. Has anyone else had this before as i don't want to start getting physical with a hammer its if not necessary....Help.

karl40

Post by karl40 »

I have been back out tonight and tried again the holes are a fag paper out once i get one started, would this be a sign that i have been sent a incorrect c.v joint or should i give it some persuasion with a hammer to get it to line up. It wasn't that hard to get it off .

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I assume you're raising the wheel (ie its free on that side) to allow you to rotate the CV joint against the gearbox flange?
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

karl40

Post by karl40 »

Covkid you could be a life saver, i have both back wheels up on axle stands but the hand brake is on and i stuck the van in gear.....just to be on the safe side! The other side went on no problem but both wheels were solid and didn't move. So the idea is to allow the wheel to turn and this will help it meet the gearbox flange. I was at me wits end thinking i had been sent the wrong cv. I will be back out there on Friday morning Covkid and free the rear wheel and try to get it to line up. Thanks mate.

karl40

Post by karl40 »

Thanks Covkid it fitted fine once i got some movement on the wheel and C.V, you saved me bacon.