Steering column shear bolts.........

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tomgillson
80-90 Mem No: 0

Steering column shear bolts.........

Post by tomgillson »

Evening ladies and gentlemen!

I'm going to be taking a second shot at replacing my blown heater in my T25, as my 1st attempt was scuppered by the dreaded shear bolts. Couldn't get a purchase on 'em and even dremelling a slot in the top I couldn't shift 'em

So it looks like I'll drill 'em out. My question is this : are the 2 bolts further down the column the same thread as the shear bolts? I'm thinking I can get 2 the same as the lower ones to put in as replacement for the blooming shear jobbies. The ones down the column are M8 (13MM).

Thanks all!

Tommy G

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Steering column shear bolts.........

Post by Aidan »

yes they are M8 still available from VW
211 415 549 B

they are that design for a reason

tomgillson

Post by tomgillson »

Were they a primitive anti theft device?

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

tomgillson wrote:Were they a primitive anti theft device?

Yep, they are. When you tighten them up to torque, the heads shear off, leaving nothing for scrotes to get hold of to unscrew. Lots of vehicles of that era use 'em. I've come across plenty where the heads are still in place, having "not been tightened enough" from the factory. The fun comes when the thread's got a bit grotty over the years, and UNDOING them causes the buggers to shear!

The threads are usually the same, so it's not that they'll shear in an impact - and b'sides, you WANT the column to stay in place in an impact, not be free to wander around.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jimpainter

Post by jimpainter »

You can normally get them to undo with a sharp chisel/punch. Just keep tapping away and eventually they should go.
JRP Automotive welding,bodywork, resprays, servicing and repair.
Classic Vw's
Cheshire

tomgillson

Post by tomgillson »

Cheers Jim, I'll try attacking a bit harder. I'm gonna replace the shear bolts.......the thread is M8? Would one the same as farther down the column work alright if I get ones the same as them?

Thanks!

Tom

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

Hi, m8 x1.25... Most m8 bolts are this size, unless your paranoid about your van getting nicked just use normal m8 bolts...can imagine your average van thief seeing the shear bolts are missing and then setting to unbolting the colume, removing the steering wheel, lock, ( need the key to get it off if its engaged anyway) and refitting it all to drive away...but then again they might bring a full colume with them, fit it and then there away!

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Can't really see the point in replacing with new shear bolts as if you cherrish your bus you will be using several anti theift devices as well as the 'built in ones.
Alarms
Immobilizer
Steering wheel lock
Tracker
Wheel clamp

And the reality is that IF it's going to be nicked they will just whack a screwdriver down the ignition barrel and then yank the steering lock off...certainly won't bother undoing the column to access the igniting switch...

Yup..standard 8mm 1.25 pitch bolts (13mm head) fairly short....20 - 25mm? something like that.

Martin

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

tomgillson wrote:I'm going to be taking a second shot at replacing my blown heater in my T25, as my 1st attempt was scuppered by the dreaded shear bolts. Couldn't get a purchase on 'em and even dremelling a slot in the top I couldn't shift 'em So it looks like I'll drill 'em out.

So after reading this, we learn that normal bolts can be used but we don't have a "favourite" method of getting the shear head bolts out ? (for the wiki article on ignition switch replacement)

As Martin points out, it is a very minor security issue, so lets not go down the "we can't tell you that on here" road
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Favoured method has always been to use a nice sharp (10 - 12mm) cold chisel on the edge of the head. The combination of shock and torsional movement free's the bolt to turn.
Never failed for me and often easier than you expect.

http://www.uktoolcentre.co.uk/Shop/p~42 ... tAodaC8A9Q

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

MartinR
80-90 Mem No: 10653

Post by MartinR »

Got mine started using a good quality mole type grips. I bought a new one so that the teeth were sharp right out to the edge. As soon as the first bit of movement was achieved the came out very easily.

Martin
1986 Holdsworth poptop (dg)
1993 T4 Holdsworth poptop (2.4AAB)
1976 T2 dormobile (wreck)

tomgillson

Post by tomgillson »

Thanks for all the advice, and yes I do have several anti theft devices of the more visible type.........

I'm gonna attack it again, but won't have time for a couple of weeks, give me chance to get some more bolts in anticipation, already got my hose clamps at the ready......

StuM
80-90 Mem No: 8281

Post by StuM »

MartinR wrote:Got mine started using a good quality mole type grips. I bought a new one so that the teeth were sharp right out to the edge. As soon as the first bit of movement was achieved the came out very easily.

Martin

+1

Mole grips worked for me and put 'normal' M8s back in.
ex-1985 Type 2 T3 Transporter - 1.9 DG - The Van's Blog

islandboy
80-90 Mem No: 10711

Post by islandboy »

Tapped mine out easily and replaced with standard bolts.

Let us know how you get on with heater blower replacement. It is in my to-do list also.
1987 DG 1900 petrol plus Yamaha Midnight Star and Yamaha Virago and !979 Vespa P125X

tomgillson

Post by tomgillson »

Cheers all, the shear bolts were proper dome like, nowhere to get a proper purchase on........got some new M8's though, gonna be next weekend before I get to it now