Brand New Hydraulic Lifters - Lazy Bleeding?

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Zomerzet
80-90 Mem No: 0

Brand New Hydraulic Lifters - Lazy Bleeding?

Post by Zomerzet »

I'm currently rebuilding my 2.0 CU engine and will be fitting brand new lifters (Along with new 107i Web cam).

I know you have to bleed/fill the new lifters with oil after reading the Wiki and searching on 'hydraulic lifters'. Is it neccessary to dismantle them to fill them properly or can they be placed vertically in an oil bath to allow them to 'gravity fill' over a day or so? I'm basically a little concerned about dismantling them as the springs are apparently very strong so a bit of a pain to reassemble.

Would placing them vertically in an oil bath and operating the plunger whilst submerged do the same job (As that's how they'll draw in oil naturally anyway) :?:
1982 VW T25 2.0l Aircooled Devon Camper
1989 Rover 'RETRO' Metro Clubman 998cc
2010 Toyota 'Sensible Car' Yaris

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Brand New Hydraulic Lifters - Lazy Bleeding?

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

All in the Bentley manual: http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=99764 Section 15.6
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Zomerzet

Post by Zomerzet »

Download not available

The following download is not available:

https://rapidshare.com/files/458080328/ ... 7-2000.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | 103.73 MB

The file of the above link no longer exists. This could be for several reasons

Thanks, but it doesn't appear to be working (Also labelled as Audi A4?). Hear a lot of people talk about this Bentley manual. Is there anywhere else I can get a copy?

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Err... that's because that was for the Audi A4 as was asked for in the thread.
Read post number one.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Zomerzet

Post by Zomerzet »

Right.. PM Sent. Apologies for misreading.

I'm hoping I may just find my answer to my original question as I just want a simple yes or no. Just wondering why people don't just get a link to a manual every time there's a question in a technical forum? The reason I have posted this paticular query is that I'm enquiring if a way, not listed in the technical stuff I've read so far is possible? The Type 4 instructional DVD I'm using to help rebuild my engine only makes brief mention of "leaving the lifters submerged in oil for a day or two". Most of the stuff I have read (Including searcing previous posts) give advice on lifters that are already in use and not Brand New ones.

Would placing them vertically in an oil bath and operating the plunger whilst submerged do the same job (As that's how they'll draw in oil naturally anyway) :?:

If it's not possible then fine. I will have to simply disassemble the lifters. Part of the reason I am asking this it basically, I do not want to disassemble them if it's not required. It is a job I have never done. Has anyone had any experience of disassembling lifters may be the question I should have asked. :roll:

weimarbus
80-90 Mem No: 10165

Post by weimarbus »

Hi, hope this helps, I have just done a rebuild on a 2.1 wbx and I did not want to mess about with filling the hydraulic lifters due to laziness and an aversion to flying circlips etc. I soaked the lifters in an oil bath for several days whilst doing other bits of the rebuild and lubricated everthing well with graphite grease and oil mix (have used up my remaining 'Graphogen) when assembleing the engine. I set the tappetts to 1.5 turns after slight thumb pressure on the rockers and when the engine was in the van cranked it over on the starter with the 'plugs out several times after the oil pressure light had gone out to make sure that the oil was pumped well around the engine, after putting the 'plugs in and starting the engine I just let it idle for 5 to ten mins ( it was clattery to start with but quickly quietened down) I then reset the tappetts and gave it a run and all has been well. I will reset the tappetts and change the oil and filter again after 150 miles.

P.S when adjusting tappetts if you jack up the side of the van you are working on the oil will drain back to the sump :ok

P.P.S if you are changing the cam for an aftermarket performance cam have you checked to see if it is compatable with hydraulic lifters as most performance cams require solid lifters, that is what I have in my buggy motor 1.9DG
1985 hi-top 2.1MV with DG carb and LPG
1955 trials buggy with 1.9 DG high lift cam and twin dell's (now sold)
1972 1303 beetle
1992 Audi 100 2.8 quattro estate
1967 Vw  Madison kit

Zomerzet

Post by Zomerzet »

Cracking, Cheers guys :D

I've fitted a new 107i Web Cam which is suitable for hydraulic lifters. I've applied the cam lube to the lobes and saved a bit for the followers. Will get them soaking in oil as I'm not getting them in until the weekend.

I'll need to run the engine at approx 2000RPM for about 10 minutes to 'bed the cam' in and have also fitted new pistons and cylinders.

weimarbus
80-90 Mem No: 10165

Post by weimarbus »

Good luck for the weekend, forgot to say that after changing the oil and filter I will be 'running in' the engine for a further 500 miles and then changing oil etc again. Best of luck, it's a lovely sound when they fire up for the first time. :ok
1985 hi-top 2.1MV with DG carb and LPG
1955 trials buggy with 1.9 DG high lift cam and twin dell's (now sold)
1972 1303 beetle
1992 Audi 100 2.8 quattro estate
1967 Vw  Madison kit

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

Just about to do this myself this week.

Have read lots n lots n lots and then a bit more. Majority of those that appear to know what they are on about appear to give bentley method a wide birth.

Google Boston bob or ratwell - both have good write up on hydraulic lifters. It would appear easiest way is to set rockers at zero lash and then pump them up to get air out before adjusting. Also the 2 turns appears to be univesally disregarded and 1.5 is more popular although even 1 turn or less is often quoted.

have a look on shoptalkforums and also Jake Raby/Tunacan /Aircooled technology sites. i think jakes user name is MASSIVE TYPE IV on STF site. :ok

Zomerzet

Post by Zomerzet »

I've got Jake Raby's Type 4 DVD to aid me in the build. Lifters are vertical in oil for the week. They've not got circlips, instead they have wire clips. They've been submerged in oil for the week with an occational push down on the plunger. Most are now giving good resistance but one or two are not quite there and bottom out. It's easy to see how they can be a bit noisy without full bleeding, as they bottom out if not bled properly.

Now got the Bently manual downloaded. Now wondering about getting the bad boy printed off at work and put in a nice chunky file... :wink:

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

i *think* on boston bobs article he questioned bentley method due to how a layperson can fill a lifter and compress it without a press etc etc By nature of it hydraulicing , unless you are superman, you wont be able to compress the oil despite the oiling hole.

Either boston bob or ratwell suggest stripping them ie take wire clip out and dissasemble, PARTIALLY fill with oil so you can compress it just enough to get circlip/wire back in then put them in, run at 0 lash to get air out and pump them up then one you are happy reset tappets.

'2 turns' in bentley appears to be generally disregarded as too much as (1) there is only 4mm IIRC of movement in a lifer so it is to much (2) you risking holding valves open as the valve spring will give before the tappet does if it is fully pumps.

1.5 appears to be universally accepted but then the more i read from experts (proper ones, not Vzi ones :mrgreen: ) there appears to be a school of thought where 1 is acceptable.

Also read that years of badly adjusted rocker arms/tappets will leave the adjusting screws badly worn and not 'square' so you adjust them only for a few k miles later for them to loosen up as the thin/worn part of the screw resting on the valve/lash cap has now worn away. Think im going to invest in new adjusting screws for the sake of a few quid (£2.50 each from heritage IIRC)

As an aside, any chance i can 'borrow' your DVD? :wink:

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

Here is a link to an early video of mine....

I assure you you don't need the full 30 mins.. :wink:

But I do a demo of filling the tappets right near the beginning..

Hope this works:

https://vimeo.com/19006035" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cordialement,

:ok