Buzzer of doom and oil warning light flashing coming on

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

yorkshireTraction
80-90 Mem No: 0

Buzzer of doom and oil warning light flashing coming on

Post by yorkshireTraction »

Hello all,hope someone can help.About a week ago the oil warning light flashed and for just a few seconds then went off so as i pulled over let the engine cool then checked the level which was bang on correct as normal so started the bus and drove home as normal wth no problems,today with about 200 miles covered after the first episode i noticed the oil light flash again and the b.o.d sounded for a few seconds then went off,pulled over immediately and checked oil level,absoloutely fine having just done a oil and filter change,set off again and a few mins later same thing,light and b.o.d went out,about five miles later oil light and b.o.d came on again and this time the b.o.d stayed on so pulled over immediately checked oil which was absoloutely fine,restarted van and drove 15ish miles home with no further problems,checked oil level again when i reached home and it was fine and correct,as far as i can see the bus is not losing or burning oil so i'm baffled to say the least,recently had a new cam-belt kit so could it be an indicator of something amiss there?sorry to be so long winded just my best way of explaining it,many thanks,van is a multivan with a 1.6td jx engine

icosahedron
80-90 Mem No: 8620

Re: Buzzer of doom and oil warning light flashing coming on

Post by icosahedron »

The bod and oil warning light have to do with oil pressure and not the level. The bod will only come on above 2000 rpm, if not, there is most likely a problem with the dashboard electrics.

Was the correct filter fitted when the oil was last changed? It is alarming that both oil pressure switches are indicating too low a pressure.

Gnarly Old Dog
80-90 Mem No: 10203

Re: Buzzer of doom and oil warning light flashing coming on

Post by Gnarly Old Dog »

I had a similar experience last year - although our bus (Chirpy) is a 1.9DG and not a JX TD.
Was running fine down the A303 when suddenly the dash lit up, BOD scared the bejesus out of me and I immediately looked out of the rear window expecting to see great plumes of smoke and pools of oil in the road. Fortunately all was still intact so pulled over, checked oil - all seemed fine and would tick over without BOD sounding but as soon as the Bus was moving again, the BOD would sound and the dash lit up again. Called the RAC and the chap traced it to a faulty earth in the engine bay :oops: . Renewed the earth connection, cleaned up the earthing point and BOD has remained blissfully quiet ever since.

Not sure if this helps.