power loss/hesitation at speed and more

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jojorose
80-90 Mem No: 1316

power loss/hesitation at speed and more

Post by jojorose »

Ive been reading everyones posts to trace problem and thought it best to do my own as problems is a bit of one and a bit of another but not everything as quoted..

My van was hesitating at speed with a power loss and then picked up again after a few minutes. Noticed it on the motorway. A week later it started to cut out at junctions and when i turned corners so foot was not on gas.

Thursday was coming out out of Hathersage up a very steep hill when i got a backfire and it stopped. It started again first time and i managed to get a little further up the hill when it cut out again and finally died. AA man took me home reckons im not getting fuel to my engine.

So.......Ive got a 2.1 petrol. 1991 automatic.

Im thinking petrol pump or if im really lucky some blockage? I read on search to avoid gsf pump. Where should I go for one as I always use them first before JK? Am going to look at filters this morning. How do I know if Ive got a Pierburg carb? Read that a minute ago on someone elses problem post.

jojo

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Re: power loss/hesitation at speed and more

Post by AdrianC »

jojorose wrote:I read on search to avoid gsf pump. Where should I go for one as I always use them first before JK?

<chorus> BRICKWERKS!

How do I know if Ive got a Pierburg carb?

Unless your '91 2.1 has been severely played-with, you don't. You don't have any carb, you have fuel injection. The fuel filter's a silvery (or was silvery, once) can in the fuel line, just next to the fuel pump underneath the RH side, between the wheels. Unless you know it's been changed in the last year or so, just buy one and change it - they're a service item that's often forgotten about. Even if it is recent, it might be worth changing it anyway in case you've had some mucky fuel.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;