Rusty exhaust!

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

WPKenny
80-90 Mem No: 11381

Rusty exhaust!

Post by WPKenny »

Hi everyone,

I've been slowly getting to know my Early model 1985 1.9 DG Petrol T25 over the past month or so. The van's fairly noisy but I just figured it's normal etc but someone said it might be the exhaust, so I slid underneath to take a look and found the following...

IMG_0575.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

Am I right in thinking this is the exhaust manifold and it's rather rusty and useless and could very well be the cause of all the noise?

Out of curiosity, would you expect it to pass an MOT in the state, say two month ago?

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: Rusty exhaust!

Post by kevtherev »

remove it ...it performs no useful function.

get the grinder or dremel out

:ok
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

Removed what was left of mine last month . Doubt if it would beta fail on mot as its only the outer skin thats corroded . Exhaust gas passes through tube running through the middle .
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

Mickyfin
80-90 Mem No: 10312

Post by Mickyfin »

It's your heat exchanger. Mine are in a similar state, and I shall be cutting mine off very soon.
Owner of Flintstone, our T3/25 Caravelle C Syncro 1.9 Petrol.

WPKenny
80-90 Mem No: 11381

Post by WPKenny »

Thanks for the replies everyone. It has eased my concerns but it has piqued my curiosity. Why have such a thing in the first place?
And since the rest of my exhaust looks solid, is my campervan always going to be just as noisy? I've never been around any other T25's....

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

WPKenny wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone. It has eased my concerns but it has piqued my curiosity. Why have such a thing in the first place?
And since the rest of my exhaust looks solid, is my campervan always going to be just as noisy? I've never been around any other T25's....

No they aren't 'normally' noisey, often parts of the exhaust gradually become porous (on the late system exhaust the cast knuckle is a favourite) and noisey that way, you only realise the difference when you fit a new one. Some noise isn't from the exhaust ... tappet rattle when parked up for any length of time for e.g. Try blocking the tailpipe with a wet rag and see if the engine stalls (if it does it's a good sign) if not listen and look for black around the joints and flanges, that will tell you where if at all it's leaking.

The only time I know our's has stalled is when the ignition light come on and the rev counter tells me. :lol:

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Oldjets
80-90 Mem No: 6334

Post by Oldjets »

WPKenny wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone. It has eased my concerns but it has piqued my curiosity. Why have such a thing in the first place?

I think (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that its just a preheater for the inlet air going to the air filter and then the carb. The idea being that warmed air is better for combustion process in cold conditions. General opinion seems to be that in the UK we generally don't need it and there are no ill effects on running.

As others say, if its rusted out, just remove. Many aftermarket exhausts dont have it anyway. If the exhaust pipe that runs through it is ok, then nothing to worry about. The flexible pipes may need securing so they dont flap about or get damaged though.

Oldjets