starter

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pieman1
80-90 Mem No: 8418

starter

Post by pieman1 »

hi peeps me starter motor packed in last night ,turns out to be a earth I was thinking its got to come out to get fixed .the question is when its out is there any thing you guys would recommend to looking at as well

davec1
80-90 Mem No: 10448

Re: starter

Post by davec1 »

i recently changed mine, be sure to change the copper bush too, you need a m12 tap i borrowed one from a mechanic mate, tells you how to do it on the wiki and its easier than i thought. Also be sure to emery cloth the connections when you take them off and make them nice and shiny again. Once i hooked it all back up i also put some vaseline over the main bolt before putting the rubber housing back over the top of it.

its not as bad a job as i thought it would be. easier if you undo the bolts from the underside of the van 1st, and make the top bolt your last one.

ps, i also changed the earth strap from the left had side of the engine bay as your are stood at the rear of the van. it goes onto the engine block, mine was very worn and didnt have any strength in it at all. Rather than buy the expensive ones that are around £10-15£ each i popped into my local motor factors with the old one and they made me one up there and then, was around £4 from memory.

good luck

dazzzer1

Re: starter

Post by dazzzer1 »

id take some time to check connectors are clean, including the ones on the end of the wires that attatch to the starter, clean up the two surfaces which connect together on the starter and bell housing...as has been said, renew the bush if its been in a while...the bush is porous so stnd it in your thumb, fill with oil then press you finger on the top so the oil is forced to ooze out of the sides of the bush, dont just whack some grease on it.
Based in the industrial north...well...manchester way