Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

alewing
80-90 Mem No: 10528

Front to Rear Coolant Pipes - Plastic

Post by alewing »

Hi,

REF: RHD Syncro Single Cab Pick-Up, Diesel

Removed both pipes during the restoration. I have read that there are differences in their lengths, but I wasnt aware that there was differences in their end design. :shock:
The ends on the Return Pipe (251 121 399L) have the metal insert ferrule wholly encapsulated with plastic (looks like its over-moulded), however the ends on the Feed Pipe (251 121 397L) appear to have the metal insert ferrule stuck out by some 35mm or so, so that only part of it appears to be over-moulded. This gives me the impression that the Feed Pipe can accomodate 2 different sizes of water hose (1 x small diameter will fit onto the metal part OR 1 x larger diameter to fit onto the plastic part) OR -- possibly to distinguish between feed and return!? See images below.

Feed Pipe Rad End.jpg
Feed Pipe Eng End.jpg
Return Pipe Either End.jpg

What I need to know is:-
Is the metal part on the feed pipe suppossed to stick out like this or has it been pulled out during its history?

I know I can purchase aftermarket stainless steel pipes to suit (although they are 2 piece) and I know I can purchase both parts new from VW Classic parts, but I just dont have £200 odd to spend. I know I could run alternative pipe (copper/rubber hose/plastic water hose etc).....but i'm big on originality!

Therefore:-
The Return Pipe is serviceable and will be used again.

For the Feed pipe I intend to machine 2 new stainless steel ferrules, and bond these in place and then fit new rubber hoses over the plastic section - therefore the jubilee clip will not crush the plastic pipe and also create the neccessary seal.

All comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ashley
88 1.6TD Syncro Pick Up (rhd)
90 1.7D Transporter
72 Beetle

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Re: Front to Rear Coolant Pipes - Plastic

Post by Ian Hulley »

They should all be like the bottom photo :lol:

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

alewing

Post by alewing »

Many thanks

:ok
90 1.7D Transporter
72 Beetle

alewing

Post by alewing »

Found this image.....
cooling-system-20-c[ekm]126x94[ekm].jpg

On this website...
http://www.t25direct.com/index.asp

now i'm a bit more confused :?
90 1.7D Transporter
72 Beetle

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

whats there to be confused about? that website has a picture of a knackered pipe. new ones are not available any more replace with stainless from brickwerks or try some marine wet diesel exhaust as suggested in another thread recently.
member 1168

timski
80-90 Mem No: 10045

Post by timski »

Hi Ashley,

When I flushed the cooling system on my van I came across an interesting article that someone on here had posted. It explains how the metal inserts work their way out over time due to heat and vibration and generally corrode. The same site offers a solution that could be interesting too.

http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=113" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tim.
Autosleeper 2.1 DJ 1991

tencentlife
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by tencentlife »

The steel inserts are cast in place to reinforce the tube ends under the hose clamps. The nylon casting around the barb cracks, and due to the pressure inside the cooling system the sleeves, hoses and clamps gradually walk off the pipe. This often happens only on the hot (feed) side, not the cooler return pipe. GoWesty has their clever kit, whether or not it works is controversial, but what is known to work is to remove the sleeves that are coming apart, they will withdraw easily if you warm the plastic with a hot air gun first. Then wire-wheel all the corrosion off the sleeves, roughen the outer surface of the sleeve and the inner surface of the pipe with coarse sandpaper to give the epoxy something to key into, apply a thin coat of JB Weld or other HD epoxy of your choice, warm the pipe end again and slide the sleeve back home.

Some people add a couple rivets thru both where the hose will cover them, belt and suspenders as it were.

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

tencentlife wrote: belt and suspenders as it were.

The word 'suspenders' has a different meaning here mate :lol: ... we call them 'Braces'.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

tencentlife
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by tencentlife »

And you call clamps "clips" but I still tell people that you guys aren't all that bad.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

tomayto tomarto.. lol as long as we get understand it matters not
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Post by garyd »

I have recently had to deal with this on my syncro. Just the one, rear, end metal tube had worked out by about 35mm.

I knocked it back in but found the hose was too short to fit properly onto the pipe. Not sure quite why this is. I bought a new hose (VW) but found this was still only 9.5" and not long enough.

I found a local hydraulics place that stocked 'radiator hose' in 1m lengths and various diameters. I have fitted a 13" length of 38mm bore hose so that it goes maybe 4.5" onto the pipe. New heavy duty hose clamps fitted, both near the end of the pipe (ie where the metal section supports it) and at the end of the hose.

So far this is working nicely. I have added a spare hose clamp around the pipe, against the end of the hose as a marker to allow easy checking of any future creep.

Garyd

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

tencentlife wrote:And you call clamps "clips" but I still tell people that you guys aren't all that bad.

:pimp Have you met Kev ? :roll:

Hehehe.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

Nice one tencent wiki'd that http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Co ... pipe_leaks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The slightly worrying thing is where do all those bits of plastic that crack off end up? clogging the radiator?
member 1168

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

Why mess about when you can fit stainless :?:

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

Cruz wrote:Why mess about when you can fit stainless :?:

Is the right answer.