problem finding gear

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

snowythebudgie
80-90 Mem No: 0

problem finding gear

Post by snowythebudgie »

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help solve my problem which I've been experiencing lately with our 1.6TD VW T3...

Some days the thing just won't go into first gear. Its not a brake fluid issue and there is pressure in the clutch system it just like the gear lever is blocked from getting into first. This is when I had the engine running and if I stopped the engine it goes into first fine and I can start up (with clutch down of course) and then set off no problems. After that it stuggles sometimes to find gears (especially the low ones) in the same way. Then a week later its all fine again and a week later its back again! No idea what the problem could be but any ideas why it keeps coming and going? Is there something basic I can check for?

Thanks in advance.
Snowy

jake1953
80-90 Mem No: 6196

Re: problem finding gear

Post by jake1953 »

There's info in the wicki above but firstly, do you know when the gearbox oil was last changed? If not then do that first as it needs doing eventually. That alone works wonders. Then there's the linkage from your gearstick to the back of the van with various places where general wear makes gearchange difficult/sloppy/impossible. So I would change the oil first and take it from there.
good luck

snowythebudgie
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: problem finding gear

Post by snowythebudgie »

Many thanks Jake, I hadn't seen the wiki page, but I'll take and look and then try changing the gearbox oil. Cheers