a very derrrr question

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

leebo
80-90 Mem No: 10896

a very derrrr question

Post by leebo »

right being an Aircooled engine does the warm air just come through the vents when revved or does it have an electric blower if so mine doesnt work :?
1982 t25
1970 beetle

fullsunian
80-90 Mem No: 5092

Re: a very derrrr question

Post by fullsunian »

leebo wrote:right being an Aircooled engine does the warm air just come through the vents when revved or does it have an electric blower if so mine doesnt work :?
Its blown through when the engine is revved...unless somebody has fitted an electric fan in the system somewhere..
Mmm what's that strange smell from my exhaust...

leebo

Post by leebo »

many thanks matey , another problem solved lol
1982 t25
1970 beetle

clem
80-90 Mem No: 8432

Post by clem »

mine is bit like 2 poodle's panting on windscreen at bout 50mph :rofl
82 Aircooled tintop (gone, never forgotten)
88 trident hightop for sale
07 bmw 118i
06 urban fox

billybigspud
80-90 Mem No: 9454

Post by billybigspud »

Alot of people fit an electric fan inline in the duct behind the grill.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

However, it relies on being an enclosed system with no leaks. Worth checking where heat exchangers enter body and pipe front to back. You can lag it too as a way to retain heat as some earlier camper owners do. The heating can be very efficient indeed if well maintained and engine is up to temperature but on a cold morning an ice scraper will become familiar unless you fit a supplementary heater of some kind. I once melted a pair of wellies in rear footwells of a Beetle so it can kick out some heat if in good condition. :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

72BUG
80-90 Mem No: 7393

Post by 72BUG »

Primarily it comes from the engine fan and will come through when the engine is revved. However some models have an auxiliery blower fitted in the dash to help it along. Mine was a Bus and had the auxiliery fan fitted. If there is a nob next to the heater levers then it should have a working fan, but these are very prone to siezing and it's a dashboard out job to sort it. Not really worth it on an Aircooled as the air is primarily pushed through from the rear fan.

People will constantly tell you that the heating on an Aircooled is crap. But if everything is in good order this is simply not true. I couldnt put the heaters on in mine without opening a window because it got red hot.
Martin.

Diesel is an engine not a fuel.

I liked camping so much I went full time.

leebo

Post by leebo »

thanks for the advice il have a look for an exta fan that i can put inline ,if i do that and fit a valve system so the air can blow to the outside the vehicle, it may help in heavy traffic ,ive heard these are bad for overheating
was also thinking of fitting an oil temp guage to keep my eye on things
1982 t25
1970 beetle

GBHgpJON
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by GBHgpJON »

leebo wrote:ive heard these are bad for overheating
was also thinking of fitting an oil temp guage to keep my eye on things

Bad for overheating?......not to my knowledge.......unless they're set up wrong etc....
Woukldn't bother about a gauge.......they just add to the paranoia!!!

horizontal kipper
80-90 Mem No: 2661

Post by horizontal kipper »

As long as all the tinware,engine bay seals, plug seals, thermostat bellows and flaps are there and working and its got clean oil in and the engine is in good order, all set up proper and you yourself can still breath. Then i wouldnt worry.

fullsunian
80-90 Mem No: 5092

Post by fullsunian »

72BUG wrote:Primarily it comes from the engine fan and will come through when the engine is revved. However some models have an auxiliery blower fitted in the dash to help it along. Mine was a Bus and had the auxiliery fan fitted. If there is a nob next to the heater levers then it should have a working fan, but these are very prone to siezing and it's a dashboard out job to sort it. Not really worth it on an Aircooled as the air is primarily pushed through from the rear fan.

People will constantly tell you that the heating on an Aircooled is crap. But if everything is in good order this is simply not true. I couldnt put the heaters on in mine without opening a window because it got red hot.
Martin the engine fan cools the engine were as the fan on the alternator blows air for heating and toward the cab...The heater on my air cooled get far too hot :ok
Mmm what's that strange smell from my exhaust...

GBHgpJON
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by GBHgpJON »

fullsunian wrote:
72BUG wrote:Primarily it comes from the engine fan and will come through when the engine is revved. However some models have an auxiliery blower fitted in the dash to help it along. Mine was a Bus and had the auxiliery fan fitted. If there is a nob next to the heater levers then it should have a working fan, but these are very prone to siezing and it's a dashboard out job to sort it. Not really worth it on an Aircooled as the air is primarily pushed through from the rear fan.

Martin the engine fan cools the engine were as the fan on the alternator blows air for heating and toward the cab...The heater on my air cooled get far too hot :ok

Well, I never knew that........I always assumed a type 4 engine had one fan, just like a type 1!!
Everyday's a school day!!