Suspension Polybushes?

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Blingpanzer
80-90 Mem No: 2035

Suspension Polybushes?

Post by Blingpanzer »

And as I emerge bleary-eyed into the new dawn of Club 80-90, I trip over the dog and drop my BLT. B*ggrit :)

Anyway...

Does anyone know where I can buy polybushes for the front suspension? I need a full set for the ARB (the replacement GSF rubber ones have split already), but I'll probably end up doing the whole lot while I've got access.

Any leads appreciated, if only to restrain my dog.

Cheers an' all that 8)
Blingpanzer
Membership Number 2035
1983 Caravelle DG 5-speed driveway ornament

Anonymous

Poly bushes

Post by Anonymous »

So far as I'm aware, you can only get the bottom rear bush for the lower arm and steering rack bushes.
If you find out where to get the rest, please tell us all

MG

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

I am at present having them manufactured.
It's taking a while but the manufacturers assure me they are on with it and I will have some smaples in 2 weeks.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Let's wayte for the smaples...

The inner front (tca/lower wishbone) are available, the rack ones are too, the front radius rod rubbers and sleeve are VW only, but have a long life (10 years +) but worth replacing aroud 15 years old.

Are the cup-washers on your drop ARB arms cupped out, not in - that seems to be their original disposition, unlike those on may other vehciles.
VW call them dampoing rings, and I assemble the whole thing with rubber grease (red).

Unless you mean the split rubbers that mount the bar to the chassis (at least 2 different inner diameters!)
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

Blingpanzer
80-90 Mem No: 2035

Post by Blingpanzer »

It's the damping rings that have split again; I've also replaced the large bushes at the front of the radius rods (no problems). The cup washers are cupped out as per OE, and everything's torqued-up as per OE. Bad batch of damping rings maybe? They lasted about three weeks, or less than 500 miles.
Blingpanzer
Membership Number 2035
1983 Caravelle DG 5-speed driveway ornament

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

And then there's three different styles of drop arm, but again, am sure your originals would be the right ones.

The Syncro ones having just a slight kink toward the bottom which goes outwards (I think)... and GSF rubber may not be OE rubber!

I have seen these degrade quickly too.

Syncronaut No. 1

t25adict
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by t25adict »

if you push all the joints/rubbers are available from vw.. (though some may have to be paid for in advance dew to the ordering system..
i have replaced various ones on various vans ive owned. always gone for vw ones..
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

though some may have to be paid for in advance dew to the ordering system

IKWYM

If you get on well with your local GSF, and they are friendly people, they (can and could) order genuine VW OEM stuff Tuesday lunchtime and have it from germany in their shop by Friday afternoon!
I think the guy they phone at GSF HQ to get a price and put the order in, is 'Martin', but could check if you like.

They price them cost + and the + depends on how they're feeling on the day, usually they are similar, slightly cheaper or occasionally slightly more expensive than VW UK.

But the service is infinitely better and I refuse to do a 40 mile round trip to prepay (VW idiots won't take my card over the phone) and then again to collect... and put up with jumped up pinstriped 'parts salesmen'.

My local GSF is just superb all round.
Whilst my nearest VW parts 'emporium', Wayside W&^!ers Ltd, seem to have zero comprehension of both commercial common sense or modern payment methods.

Syncronaut No. 1

Ray
80-90 Mem No: 94

Post by Ray »

clive
I always go to wayside s albans who seem quite helpful. They seen to know me by now and don't ask for money up front - well not for small items anyway.
Ray
2.1 dj syncro

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Ray, Hi,

Trust you and yours are good.

I phoned them as well a year or so ago and as they're part of Wayside Group, and part needed ordering - visit to pay, visit to collect - offered to pay over phone, just 'not our policy' or some such diatribe.

I'm sure you've found just the right bloke there, but so far so good at Apsley GSF, and such a short easy drive. I can even EMAIL them an order and get the prices back before confirming - and they tend to know the bits on VWs!

Syncronaut No. 1