engine keeps dying on me!

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

grayzer1
80-90 Mem No: 0

engine keeps dying on me!

Post by grayzer1 »

Hi,a few months ago my 1985 1.9 petrol t25 cut out while in France. it was taken to a garage and mechanic changed air and fuel filters and cleaned fuel lines as there was a blockage in them. Van ran fine after that but has just started to die on me again. Anybody have any idea what problem could be?

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Re: engine keeps dying on me!

Post by ghost123uk »

Need more info on the way it dies please. Like does it do it at tick over or only when batting along. Does it simply die, or does it lose power first. Or does it misfire/backfire and then die. What are the symptoms ?

There is a tiny gauze filter inside the stub pipe of the carb, you get it out (carefully) using a self tapping screw. Worth checking as it only takes 5 minutes.

However, from another recent post, check through this =

ghost123uk wrote:1) Remove feed pipe from carb. Put it in a small plastic pop bottle. Start engine up (it will run on what is in the carb). Watch for a healthy steam of fuel going into the pop bottle. NOTE = observe fire precautions whilst doing this. Is there a healthy stream of petrol ? If not, suspect blockages or fuel pump (and it's push rod, it should be 100mm long, they can wear down)

2) Test the coil - see how to HERE or replace coil with either a known good one or a new one (note use the correct one like THIS from Brickwerks. When "on there way out" a coil can start to fail when it gets warm.

3) Replace ignition amp with either a known good one or a new one, like THIS again from Brickwerks. When "on there way out" they too have been known to start to fail when they get warm.

Let us know how you get on, if ness we can go further ;)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

grayzer1

Post by grayzer1 »

Hi,thanks for reply.Just read about the small filter in the wiki section of the site. engine ticks over fine,it dies when driving along.

grayzer1

Post by grayzer1 »

sorry forgot to say there is no misfiring and there is a loss of power until engine cuts out, sometimes i can keep it running by putting full revs on,which led me to think there is a blockage somewhere?

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Yep, ok, check that tiny filter, then if still no good, go through my checklist.

Re the ignition amp, it could be that, a weak spark can cause your symptoms, like revving it can keep it running with a weak spark. Trouble is, the flow of fuel is easy to check (as per my checklist). The Coil is fairly easy to check, or to replace, but if it turns out to NOT be those, the ignition amp is quite expensive to buy "just in case it might be that". Most folk would borrow one from a mate whose van is running well. Is that an option here ?
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Post by Smosh »

Have you read "the long and winding road"? They had a similar sounding problem... i think it was the fuel filter in the end. But they did try replacing the turbo first!
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

As highlighted, if it has a mechanical fuel pump they can decline fairly quickly before they finally expire, with erratic fuel starvation and the engine dying in an equally erratic manner. It can be fine one day, then carp the next.

Historically, my engine always runs. The only time I've ever had it die on me or suddenly cut out was where a wire had come off or fuel just wasn't getting to the carb. If it normally runs fine and doesn't misfire, you'd do well to see how healthy the pump is. I've had problems like this for a few weeks and deduced that the pump has finally decided it wants to retire. Now (annoyingly), the fuel line will just empty itself if I leave the vehicle for more than a day without starting it so I'm fairly certain the diaphram in the pump is split.

The Facet electric pump is a popular replacement these days, and sensible as theres no cranking to get fuel through. :ok

Not saying its that, but those are the symptoms you can get. Certainly revving the engine makes the mechanical fuel pump go faster. Yours may be struggling to stay in step at times and it can be worse descending a hill as the tank is even lower then. :shock:
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

mickeyflyn
80-90 Mem No: 10871

Post by mickeyflyn »

My van kept cutting out and wouldn't restart intermittently, i found the spring clip on the ignition amp had broken and the plug was rattling about causing the intermittent fault .New retaining spring no more fault. Hope this helps.
1.9df petrol water cooled 1982 built registered 84 ,
If it aint broke don`t fix it !