doka vs panel van

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

doka vs panel van

Post by ..lee.. »

would appreciate some experianced opinions or even no experiance opinions really.

i`m having second thoughts about getting the doka done as a daily driver and i`m having a hankering for a panel van."rich getting his on the road hasnt helped " now i`ve driven plenty of both and just love the feel of a doka but i`ve never owned one on the road. so advantages vs disadvantages for both.

what you think peeps.
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

peasant
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: doka vs panel van

Post by peasant »

Depends really on what you want to carry.
Anything precious (either of sentimental or monetary value) is better off encased, IMO

(kids, dogs or big eff-off flatscreen TV's don't last too long on the back of a DoKa :mrgreen: )
Ex German army Syncro for sale

Russel
80-90 Mem No: 1052

Post by Russel »

Lee you need to take a long hard think about wot you want to use it for. They are both great vehicles but have very different applications.
Russel

..lee..

Post by ..lee.. »

for work welding bottles probally biggest thing i`d carry. the odd engine or gearbox thats about it really. for pleasure bikes, kayaks and surfboards the odd pile of wood and it would become my offroad fun vehicle too.

i`m convinced i`d rather drive a doka but the doka will struggle to home the surf board and kayak inside where a van would. also sleeping in the thing when offroading the van would probally fit the bill better.

jury`s still out.
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

Russel
80-90 Mem No: 1052

Post by Russel »

I this case. A doka dosent sound like your vehicle. They are great but the load bed is very high to be loading gas bottles and engines.
A panel is a lot easier for loading heavy things.
Russel

..lee..

Post by ..lee.. »

russel i`d agree getting an engine in the back of a doka aint the fun it used to be and the panel van would probably work better for me. would you agree the driving experience with a doka is nicer????

Peninsulakid
80-90 Mem No: 8867

Post by Peninsulakid »

If I could work out a way to be able to put a canopy over the rear cab door and the vindic when open on the same side, I probably wouldn't have bought the panel van. For the building game the doka is great with the vindic on or off. For overnighting in, on an off road trip at 6'1" i couldn't sleep across the cab, so want to use the rear area under the vindic. For cooking etc the back is great while standing outside, but I would want to enclose the area under some sort of canopy, here in lies the problem for me. The vindic has a lip at the bottom of the opening side panel that sticks way back when open so a fiamma wind out with safari room would have to be set back so far there would be a gap to the van.
From a driving point of view my doka is far quieter than the panel van just because there is less volume in the cab for all noise to resonate, and the engine bay is far more remote. I also think the doka feels a little "stiffer" in the chassis.
Reckon the best solution is to have one of each!
No two of each, both diesel and petrol, and a camper, and a sika, and a caravelle, and an LT 4x4 and a Pinz and a C303!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by Peninsulakid on 15 Nov 2011, 05:51, edited 1 time in total.
PeninsulaKid

New vans are great but they just ain't got no soul!

..lee..

Post by ..lee.. »

rich you do make me laugh. :lol: :lol: :lol:

dirty-syncro-lover

Post by dirty-syncro-lover »

im selling a 2wd panel van if any one want's to convert? getting rare now

..lee..

Post by ..lee.. »

fancy a swap for ratty t4 ???? pm me.

dirty-syncro-lover

Post by dirty-syncro-lover »

maybe?

pm sent

jes*b
80-90 Mem No: 10335

Post by jes*b »

My panel van still has the full bulk head in. At the mo plans are to keep it. Gives a cosy cab, reduces noise ( ish) and useful in load bay as can strap gear to it etc. Drove a Mk1 golf caddy for years as my daily ( almost the best VW I ever owned) loved the casual way you could sling all and sundry in the bed but security an issue and taking the ifor on and off was a chore. Looks wise I think I would describe the Doka as iconic not sure I could claim the same about the van, but I think a van is more practical.

stevealex
80-90 Mem No: 10134

Post by stevealex »

Here's a picture of the tent I have adapted to allow sleeping in the back of my doka.

Only had the truck a few months, it's suprisingly nice to drive on the road, although it needed a fair bit of sound deadening to get the noise to sensible levels (not a problem and only £40 using flash banding).

Security not a problem with the vindic although they are heavy to remove often. The high back is a problem to get heavy stuff in, too high to use an engine crane to get an engine in - tried without sucess!

Peninsulakid
80-90 Mem No: 8867

Post by Peninsulakid »

Thanks stevealex

I had never thought of having a canvas canopy/tent etc under vindic side door/hatch, always thought about the door/hatch being underneath the canopy/tent. Prob wouldn't be too much hassle to extend tent sideways over the rear cab door.
Always good to look at a problem from a different angle.

Cheers Rich :D
PeninsulaKid

New vans are great but they just ain't got no soul!

stevealex
80-90 Mem No: 10134

Post by stevealex »

No probs Rich, that's the good thing about this forum. The awning just has shock cord through the bit that attachs to the back and I detach the gas rams and hold the hatch up with an extendable rollering pole. I am planning to get a pull out awning to cover the rest of the side to give a bit more space undercover, but there's enough room now for overnighting and should be small enough to still be able to wild camp.
Steve