Wheel question (I'm sorry)

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Re: Wheel question (I'm sorry)

Post by syncropaddy »

toomanytoys wrote:Also... any winter or all season tyre apparently MUST have the "Snowflake in the mountain" symbol on it rather than just the M&S marking to be legal in germany....

Correct! You can put M&S on any tyre as long as it has a tread as 'M&S' no longer has an official meaning which is why we now have the snowflake thingie. The M&S designation goes way back to the days of the Dunlop Weathermaster tyres ..... What makes a Syncro so damn good in the snow is the big wheels, the engine in the back, close to 50/50 weight distribution and the 4WD and as we all know its just a damn good design.
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

armyphil wrote:[quote="v-lux]

Whatever happened to those tyres lurking around in a MOD shed somewhere......?

They are 16" if anyone wants a set send a PM or give a call.
[/quote][/quote]

Iltis owner with 16" rims ears prick up.. Military pattern?
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

armyphil
80-90 Mem No: 6328

Post by armyphil »

Simon Baxter wrote:
armyphil wrote:[quote="v-lux]

Whatever happened to those tyres lurking around in a MOD shed somewhere......?

They are 16" if anyone wants a set send a PM or give a call.
[/quote]

Iltis owner with 16" rims ears prick up.. Military pattern?[/quote][/quote][/quote]

All people have been pm'd. Goodyear G90 16/7.5 J commercial rating :ok
You can say alot of of things with "ar"

1984 syncro westfalia

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

syncropaddy wrote:
toomanytoys wrote:Also... any winter or all season tyre apparently MUST have the "Snowflake in the mountain" symbol on it rather than just the M&S marking to be legal in germany....

Correct! You can put M&S on any tyre as long as it has a tread as 'M&S' no longer has an official meaning which is why we now have the snowflake thingie. The M&S designation goes way back to the days of the Dunlop Weathermaster tyres ..... What makes a Syncro so damn good in the snow is the big wheels, the engine in the back, close to 50/50 weight distribution and the 4WD and as we all know its just a damn good design.

Bugger.......... I couldnt get any snow or all seasons last year with the snowflake and M&S were the only thing I could find.. so bought them.. only done 400 miles on them..... now wont be able to use them in Germany then... :roll:

peasant
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by peasant »

I've been driving Vredestein Comtrac Winters for a year now.
While I'm sure that they'd probably fail miserably in axle deep mud, they are brilliant in all other conditions ...ice, snow, rain, floods, dry roads, wet grass, gravel ...they perform really well. The only conditions I haven't tested them in is heat (because we don't get that here :x )
They are a commercial tyre, so no issues with load ratings either.

Would wholeheartedly recommend for a mainly road going Syncro that does the occasional off-road bit

I drive size 195-80/14 on standard rims

Ex German army Syncro for sale

syncrosimon
80-90 Mem No: 3784

Post by syncrosimon »

I have used these people for motorbike tyres and they can get most european brands for cars and vans also. Fast delivery with tracking.

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?d ... W&dsco=110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1991 16" DJ (sold)
2006 Subaru Outback 3.0R
2010 Yamaha Ténéré
2000 KTM LC400

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

Post by ..lee.. »

next snow fall i`m putting road tyres on the syncro. last year it was " almost " boring to drive on with the at`s. my mt`s were noticeable worse and surely snow tyres would be noticeably better.

there are times when grip is overrated. :lol:
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

syncropaddy

Post by syncropaddy »

..lee.. wrote:next snow fall i`m putting road tyres on the syncro. last year it was " almost " boring to drive on with the at`s. my mt`s were noticeable worse and surely snow tyres would be noticeably better.

there are times when grip is overrated. :lol:

Agree. I found myself pushing harder to find the breakaway point so I could have some fun, which is all very well but when that breakaway point finally does come you are going a hell of a lot quicker than maybe you realised !!
syncropaddy

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

That was the problem with the UR quattro.........
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Synkraut
80-90 Mem No: 9894

Post by Synkraut »

This thread got me all nervous - so far I thought that my M+S Yokohama Geolandar ATs fulfil the German winter regulations (even the new 2010 ones)
I've just had a look on the ADAC Homepage (German ecquivalent to the AA?). There it says M+S rating is oficially sufficient in Germany - they advise (of course) to go for both M+s and snowflake/mountain branded tires but this is not mandatory.

Phew
Cheers, André

'89 T3 GL syncro, 2.1 MV
'91 T3 doka syncro, 2.2 Subaru
http://www.feine-tapeten.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Synkraut wrote:This thread got me all nervous - so far I thought that my M+S Yokohama Geolandar ATs fulfil the German winter regulations (even the new 2010 ones)
I've just had a look on the ADAC Homepage (German ecquivalent to the AA?). There it says M+S rating is oficially sufficient in Germany - they advise (of course) to go for both M+s and snowflake/mountain branded tires but this is not mandatory.

Phew

So.. ADAC say M & S marking is ok then... They shouldnt get it wrong.. Should they??? :ok

I have a feeling that all new, all season/winters being sold must have the snowflake..

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Come back to Blighty Si, you can fit whatever you like and no-one otices or cares! Wrong load rating for wheel or tyre, so what? (overheard from a German commenting on lack of TUF-like controls over UK vehicle modifications at VanFest) :rofl

Sorry, not very helpful :mrgreen:

jebiga41
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 5654

Post by jebiga41 »

Simples for more all round use BFG AT's, great in snow and ice and on road, good off road except the really sticky stuff, for more of a mix of offroad use and whilst being able to do 70+ mph on Mts and good wear BFG MT's. You get what you pay for :ok
VW T3/T25 and Syncro Gearbox rebuilds
http://vantopia.ie

syncropaddy

Post by syncropaddy »

Found this .....

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/w ... gs_en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
syncropaddy