Meet Flintstone, our 1992 1.9 Petrol Caravelle Syncro

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mickyfin
80-90 Mem No: 10312

Meet Flintstone, our 1992 1.9 Petrol Caravelle Syncro

Post by Mickyfin »

Some of you may recall me looking for a good T25 since joining the forums, and with the great advice, and help from fellow members here I was able to track down the perfect T25 to suit my needs.

Flintstone (My wife named her already :)) is a 1992 Caravelle C Syncro with 181k kilometers on the clock. She is very solid apart from the right hand side rear arch, which has been cut off ready for the new replacement arch (Supplied in the sale), and the front panel is holed, but the bumper iron is rock solid.

After finding her on nettiauto.fi I was in communications with the seller who at first was very wary of my business due to a current trend of scammers on nettiauto, all of which English surprisingly enough, but once the seller was convinced, I arranged to go check her out, Flintstone, not the seller lol. 5 hours on the train down to the south of Finland, and the seller met me at the train station, and took me to see Flintstone. I had prepared prior to my trip and took a backpack with me with several tools etc.

When I first saw her in the flesh I was taken back a bit by the sheer size of her, its the very first T25 Syncro I have seen in the flesh let along drive.

I carried out all the various checks as suggested, and advised to do by great fellow 80-90 members here, and after I was happy with things, I made an offer lower than the asking price. This was due to a mix up. The seller advertised Flintstone as a Caravelle GL, which I was expecting to have a 5 speed gearbox, captain seats up front, and a rev counter.

Sadly, Flintstone only has 4 forward gears, no rev counter, and no captain front seats hence my offing the seller 1350 Euros, which after some thought, the seller agreed.

The seller also not only covered my train fare down to his place, the day insurance, and legal permission to drive her back home, there was also a full tank of fuel to boot. The fuel gauge is not working correctly though, it only registers just over full even though the fuel tank was full to the brim.

I drove Flintstone back home to Kuopio, which was just under 600km, and she didn't miss a beat, I was grinning from ear to ear.

Once home, I couldn't stop smiling lol.

The following day I inspected the van further, and made a note of things needed, and started to put a shopping list together. She didn't need much to be honest, so my first shopping trip I got the following. I remember forgetting a fire extinguisher, so that was a priority.

Plus, oil, ht leads, spark plugs, new coil, air freshener, jump leads, oil filter, oil filter wrench, air filter, boot containers to store stuff neatly, brake fluid, anti-freeze, fuses, bulbs, and much much more.

Today I changed the plugs, leads, and coil, and am so happy, she runs, and purs like a cat now. Whilst I was doing that my wife was busy cleaning the interior, windows, and boot carpet, oh and hovering. Oh, I fitted the fire extinguisher today too. I was going to change the oil, and oil filter today, but forgot to get the sump plug copper washer, so will get that then do the oil change. Went to the 15-40 diesel oil as also recommended here as it helps quiten the engine further.

Ordering 4 new tyres, booking her in for welding arch on, and ordering a metal cooling system pipe which is leaking, once these are done, happy days, however, Im still a happy fellow :D

I cannot thank you all enough for all your T25/T3 help, knowledge, experience, and advice since joining these great forums, THANK YOU!!!
Owner of Flintstone, our T3/25 Caravelle C Syncro 1.9 Petrol.

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Re: Meet Flintstone, our 1992 1.9 Petrol Caravelle Syncro

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

That looks very nice! Well done.

FYI Syncros are 4 speed plus G.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

yorkierob
80-90 Mem No: 9159

Post by yorkierob »

nice looking bus and a bargain to boot!! well done you can enjoy it now :ok
Before I've finished one job I'm planning the next!

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Post by syncropaddy »

Diesel oil in a petrol ??

Your sump plug washer should come with the oil filter.

Looks like a bargin at that price. Any interior pics?
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

paulo999
80-90 Mem No: 9365

Post by paulo999 »

1350 Euros? Really? That's insane. I paid more for my upholstery!

Mickyfin

Post by Mickyfin »

Cheers guys, will get some interior photos to add here soon.

Yes, diesel oil in this engine is what was recommended to me.

As to the sump plug copper washer, I will check in the oil filter box.

4 speed Syncros. Well I guess I now know something new, and that the 5 speed Syncros I have seen have obviously had a DIY gearbox fitted.

Mickyfin

Post by Mickyfin »

Changed the oil, and filter today, and now for some reason, the oil light flashes at low revs. Im guessing I simply need to top up a little, but will wait until the oil has settled. I filled the oil filter 3/4 before fitting, and then added 4.5 litres of oil.

Mickyfin

Post by Mickyfin »

Just been out and checked on the oil, its full, and the blinking oil light has stopped now. Odd.

Anyway, here are some interior photos for you.

Fitted fire extinguisher. The vinyl behind it will eventually be replaced with carpeting.

Mickyfin

Post by Mickyfin »

I have a horrible feeling I have put the wrong oil in my engine. I put in diesel 15w/40 engine oil, and unsure if this will cause issues?

Do I need the red, or blue one? I know it sounds/looks obvious, but I have used diesel oil in petrol cars before, but unsure about my van.

Would this oil be ok?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARLUBE-15w40 ... 5adb0af7dd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks in advance.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

API SF is what the glovebox book says that's the one :ok
VW 500 00
15w/40 = -18c to +32c

Mickyfin

Post by Mickyfin »

Excellent, thanks, however temperatures here in the winter get as low as -35, so that puts a spanner in the works lol.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

5w/20 or 5w/30 for the winter then, fill in your profile so we know where you is

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

Mickyfin wrote:
The vinyl behind it will eventually be replaced with carpeting.

If you are going to be using it off road you would be better off keeping it as is or to another wipeable floor covering. I changed from the rubber same as yours to engineered oak flooring that I had lying around.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Post by syncropaddy »

Mickyfin wrote: 4 speed Syncros. Well I guess I now know something new, and that the 5 speed Syncros I have seen have obviously had a DIY gearbox fitted.

My Syncro has 5 forward gears ..... G, 1,2,3 and 4. Are you sure you have a Syncro box in there !!
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

Mickyfin

Post by Mickyfin »

ninja.turtle007 wrote:
Mickyfin wrote:
The vinyl behind it will eventually be replaced with carpeting.

If you are going to be using it off road you would be better off keeping it as is or to another wipeable floor covering. I changed from the rubber same as yours to engineered oak flooring that I had lying around.

Good call, however Im planning a camper conversion, so will certainly have an floor that can be wiped. I need a rethink on the b pillars then, but ideally would prefer carpet.

syncropaddy wrote:
Mickyfin wrote: 4 speed Syncros. Well I guess I now know something new, and that the 5 speed Syncros I have seen have obviously had a DIY gearbox fitted.

My Syncro has 5 forward gears ..... G, 1,2,3 and 4. Are you sure you have a Syncro box in there !!

Yes, I have those too, I meant normal gears including 5th Gear. I too have G Gear :D

For some reason, Im not getting email notifications from replies to my threads here. Need to check my settings.

@ Aidan Will update my profile now mate,.