T3 Syncro 1.9D engine

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

LostValleyBoy
80-90 Mem No: 0

T3 Syncro 1.9D engine

Post by LostValleyBoy »

Hi,
Have been looking at a T3 Syncro Caravelle with a 1.9D engine.
Have trawled cyberspace for info, but not turning up anything of interest (mostly info about 2.1 petrol and 1.6 TD's).
I seem to remember reading it produced roughly the same hp as the 1.6TD???

How common is this variant? Engine no's? Any positives/negatives I should know about it?

Byron - Norway

jebiga41
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 5654

Re: T3 Syncro 1.9D engine

Post by jebiga41 »

A 1.9 diesel is a conversion not a stock engine depending on who did it you may still have the JX exhaust parts fitted including the Turbo.The 1Y usually comes out of a Golf/Vento/Passat and produces about 64 hp @ 4400 rpm about 5-6 horses down on the JX but has more torque so can make up for it in that way. The 1Y is a great engine quite bullet proof due to lack of a turbo had one in my hightop camper for over a year and was in Tinkerbelle AKA the Horse before it got an AAZ. The one I had, had 200,000 miles on it when I installed it went to croatia and back (including going over the ALps) and all over the UK and Ireland without any problems. It was slower on acceleration and hills than the JX but had good economy and did everything that other vans did offroad. The only reason I changed it was that the head cracked when changing the injectors (some one had over torqued them previously :roll: ) Reckon a well serviced one could easliy do over 3-400, 000 miles with no problems. They can also be turboed a few lads have done it on the Brickyard with no problems if the block has 1.9D/TD on it some have the same block as an AAZ see thread and might be info on the wiki http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/ky-or ... =1Y#521358" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
VW T3/T25 and Syncro Gearbox rebuilds
http://vantopia.ie

LostValleyBoy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by LostValleyBoy »

Thanks. (Liking the Rubberbandits link :D )

jebiga41
Trader

Post by jebiga41 »

:lol:

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

LostValleyBoy wrote:Thanks. (Liking the Rubberbandits link :D )

I bet he is wondering how you know that :wink: Welcome to Club 80-90 Syncronauts Byron :ok
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

jebiga41
Trader

Post by jebiga41 »

Actually I was but it is on the video at the start :D

hotpod
80-90 Mem No: 7802

Post by hotpod »

where do i look for the d/td markings. i would love to put a turbo on mine. it is geared for a 16" with a 112i so it is almost painfully slow.
some people i have asked say you cant just bolt a turbo on.
if i have the td marking on the block is there other stuff which needs changing too?
1992 Syncro 16" 4 door doka 1.9na diesel
1990 Syncro 16" high top Westfalia 1.9tdi

jebiga41
Trader

Post by jebiga41 »

It's cast on the block from memory it's around the top of the oil pump area near the engine no but could be wrong to turbo a 1y you need an aaz and injectors or jx pump injector lines and injectors plus a jx exhaust manifold turbo and exhaust as far as I remember might be more details on the wiki or the brickyard would be worth fitting an oil cooler to the 1y turboed or not as they can work quite hard pushing a Syncro around can also get a little more poke out of the stock 1y by turning up the fuel screw an 1/8 to a 1/4 of a turn bit do so with caution and small increments as leads to higher egts :run

Syncro G
80-90 Mem No: 3988

Post by Syncro G »

(computer having a bad day, someone will clear it up some day I guess)
Last edited by Syncro G on 02 Aug 2011, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
Glen Syncronaut: 113 - 1992 JX Syncro pannel van

Syncro G
80-90 Mem No: 3988

Post by Syncro G »

A bit hard to see in a van but easy to photo in a car, its just between the core plugs under the exhaust manifold, so if you reach around the flywheel end of the engine with a camera you should get a shot after a couple of gos.

I'm not sure however if this means it has the oil squerters fitted inside the block to keep the pistons cool - rather important for a forced induction engine as they get a lot hotter at peak compression. I'm sure the block is machined for them though so maybe you can buy them seperate to fit? I was going to find out when I take out the 1Y pictured above but as I have now aquired a scrap car with ann AAZ I'm not in a hurry to cut up my work car which in all other respects seems pritty good at the moment (In fact last week I finished running it in as it has just clocked 100k miles!)

1Y's do not have more torque than a JX by the way, they are about 125Nm where as the JX is 138Nm. However I suspect the 1.9 has a much flatter torque curve than the 1.6 and most worn out JX's probubly aren't putting out what they should so the gap is smaller in reality and the better torque curve probubly makes the 1Y more drivable when its not accelerating.
Glen Syncronaut: 113 - 1992 JX Syncro pannel van