Bet you cant do this ....

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Bet you cant do this ....

Post by syncropaddy »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqwvxu5m ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GbjMg4w ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

twiggy
80-90 Mem No: 3209

Re: Bet you cant do this ....

Post by twiggy »

Flipping heck :shock:
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
86 Holsdsworth Villa Pop Top Syncro
3209 89 Cali pop top Caravelle GL Syncro

mastersdom

Post by mastersdom »

No way! That 2nd one is crazy!
currently homeless ...

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Didn't see the wheels nuts being torqued up properly :P
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Post by syncropaddy »

HarryMann wrote:Didn't see the wheels nuts being torqued up properly :P

I would suggest that the 'higher power' that was looking after them also torqued up the nuts!!
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Vid 1: "The're not British, you know" :mrgreen: My brain now hurts from trying to work out how a vehicle can have drive to one side of both axles :?
Must have freewheels all round with the right side engaged, n/s both out and the centre diff locked?
A bit like my brain - right side locked in...

Vid 2: Toyota Land Cruiser, more waterproof than you first thought :pimp

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

I've got it! Lock front and rear (or all 3) diffs but remove the nearside driveshafts.

To think that they actually sat down and planned this :shock:

KarlT
80-90 Mem No: 2266

Post by KarlT »

Life is cheap.
Is there a vid where they drop one of the wheels? :twisted:

Syncro G
80-90 Mem No: 3988

Post by Syncro G »

silverbullet wrote:I've got it! Lock front and rear (or all 3) diffs but remove the nearside driveshafts.

To think that they actually sat down and planned this :shock:

To be fair most people who drive cars (or lorries, see Russ Swift's @best truck on two wheels@ Leyland Roadrunner advert) on 2 wheels need to do some planning as it doesn't work with open diffs, so the @look what a skilled driver can do with a tipical family car@ display, usally isn't as it'll have an LSD, or a welded diff if your doing it to a banger on the cheep.

They do some ridiculous things in Saudi though!

Though the wadeing isn't that imprssive, seen people go further, though I'm not exactly sure of the point!

Not intirely sure what engine that is, probubly a Perkins P4203 (its certainly not a Land-Rover engine), though I have once seen a photo I really want a find online of the british army testing a Land-Rover in the 60's in a wadeing tank with the water level at the top of the windscreen. It was of course fitted with the standard army Land-Rover engine of the era, a low compression 2.25 petrol, which must have taken a bit more than a snorkel but shows its possable.

Unimog climbing and Alvis stalwart are still my faverates though.
Glen Syncronaut: 113 - 1992 JX Syncro pannel van

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Post by garyd »

Glen,
back in the 70's when I was at university, I 'played soldiers' with the Officers Training Corps.

On one of our summer camps we spent a week at the Fording Trials Branch at Instow, just north of Bideford in Devon. During that time we worked in teams to fit the standard army wading kits to a range of vehicles including air-portables and a 101. The kit includes waterproofing elements for the engine, the dash electrics, the axle & gearbox breathers plus air and exhuast snorkels. Once we had done this we drove the vehicles into the estuary at the confluence of the Taw & Torridge rivers (behind Westward Ho!).

We had heavy weights in the rear body and the tailgate fixed half open to reduce bouyancy and the soft top rolled back from the cab. Each member of the team had a turn at driving into the water, manouvering around and then out again. During this the water level was usually at least half way up the windscreen. I say 'usually' because we were accompanied by a Centurion BARV (tank based Beach Armoured Recovery Vehicle) and by the time it had tracked around the sandy bottom was a mass of ruts and banks from the skid turns. The host army unit also treated it as an excuse to take their DUKW out for a swim too.

The design of the kit is such that elements of it can be fitted in stages on the approach to the landing or river crossing. Some bits can be driven quite a distance, others need to be installed immediately before the wading. On our vehicle, whilst on the beach and fitting the last parts, we noticed that a short piece of copper pipe (Ithink it was part of the distributor breather - yes, these were petrol engines!) had snapped. We took out one part and reconnected the hoses. As a result, our vehicle ran happily for as long as was necessary whilst at least two others died from a similar fault.

After the swim we spent another day stripping the kit off, draining oils, cleaning our with water dispersants and re-filling.

I must have some pictures but almost certainly they will be 35mm slides. I shall have to sort them out and see if I can digitise them for you.

Garyd
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Post by garyd »

Glen,
found this page with details of the BARV but nothing yet on wading vehicles.

http://www.aeroventure.org.uk/falklands ... s-barv.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Garyd
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine