Hahahaha... Look at my back wheel!!!

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Hahahaha... Look at my back wheel!!!

Post by jed the spread »

Just thought I would share this with you all. Ultimately its a how to change a rear wheel bearing video, but look just how wobbly my back wheel was when I took it in for the MOT :shock: they made me change it. I thought it was driving like cr4p recently :rofl

http://campervanculture.com/2011/07/jed ... on-syncro/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

Syncrobaz
80-90 Mem No: 10610

Re: Hahahaha... Look at my back wheel!!!

Post by Syncrobaz »

Kerching !!!!!!!!!!!
Syncronaut no 152
92 RHD mv panel van
94 RHD jx doka 16"

Mickyfin
80-90 Mem No: 10312

Post by Mickyfin »

Thanks for the vid Jed, not as difficult as one would think. Great tip about not having to remove/disassemble the brakes!
Owner of Flintstone, our T3/25 Caravelle C Syncro 1.9 Petrol.

Syncro G
80-90 Mem No: 3988

Post by Syncro G »

Nice how to!!
Is that the van sitting on a hydraulic jack though? :tsk (From experience I can tell you a peugeot 106 drops "feck" quick when a seal goes in a trolly jack, makes you think twice how you get an axle stand under there safely let alone working on the jack!)

I once had a GSF bearing that loose, don't think I get it to greenlaneing though as it had done about 2000k miles! That was about the time everyone on here found out how useless they were. Had one go since due to water damage but after watching this I wish I'd tried it myself instead of getting it to a garage (I don't mind changing bearings when I know I have the bits to do it on the drive but drums don't come off my hubs and I never used to have the socket). I've always been a bit careful of wheelbearings since this happened...
Yes that wheel was still bolted to the halfshaft in the photo, and that means you loose all drive and breaking as the spline is out of the diff and the drum has cleared the shoes (single circuit footbrakes, transmission handbrake, RWD selected (though luckally as my free wheeling front hubs were locked I would have been able to engage the axle to get some drive and transmission brake back, but not footbrakes). A sealed for life thrust bearing is fine till it reaches the end of its life and breaks up! Not much chance of a roadside repair when the bearing requires 20t pressing onto the halfshaft ether, can see why they went over to taper roller bearings! Part of the joy of old vehicles I guess but recovery is hard when the wheels are missing!
Glen Syncronaut: 113 - 1992 JX Syncro pannel van

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

Syncro G wrote:Nice how to!!
Is that the van sitting on a hydraulic jack though? :tsk (From experience I can tell you a peugeot 106 drops "feck" quick when a seal goes in a trolly jack, makes you think twice how you get an axle stand under there safely let alone working on the jack!)

Yes Glen, I had it just on a bottle jack while I put my head underneath the rear arm them whacked the whole thing with a drift and a big club hammer. Come on fella give me some credit here :roll:

1.09, 1.21, 1.37, 1.55, actually their are loads of shots with axle stands in shot as well as the bottle jack as secondary support, oh and all the other wheels are chocked etc etc etc..........

Glad you liked it :ok

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

That's grrreat procedure to save time in the field etc.

I just did a rear bearing and did a complete strip down, but this did give a me a chance to generally clean, lube, check/replace worn components as needed. As well as the bearing I replaced the back plate with an OK spare (rust damage) and a CVJ as well, so at least I have the peace of mind that corner should be good for a while. Coated all the exposed bits with underseal too.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Job's a good'un. You can see the axle stands in shot so what's the fuss about?

Remember folks: if swapping the CV's using this "out the back" technique c/w the splined shaft be warned that it may not clear the reinforcement in the swingarm and/or get hung up before the shaft disengages the hub.
Don't ask me how I know :oops: I thought it would save time but ended up a bit of an epic!

Jed, please go and buy a decent copper & hide mallet instead of belting machined parts with that builder's 2lb lump hammer!

The nut can be easily torqued up by an 80 kg scrawnbag like me with about 4 foot of scafold tube. No fat bloke required :mrgreen:

syncroand101
80-90 Mem No: 500

Post by syncroand101 »

silverbullet wrote: . No fat bloke required :mrgreen:

However, one was used in this instance :lol:

Steve T
80-90 Mem No: 5058

Post by Steve T »

Jed,

What is the green square section stuff you had the jack on? Look’s like some handy useful stuff, for van levelling also perhaps? must get some of that if it available.

cheers
1984 1.9 DG Holdsworth Hi-Top

armyphil
80-90 Mem No: 6328

Post by armyphil »

Waffle board I imagine :ok
You can say alot of of things with "ar"

1984 syncro westfalia

Steve T
80-90 Mem No: 5058

Post by Steve T »

ap,

Spot on, just googled it, and in a choice of colours!!
1984 1.9 DG Holdsworth Hi-Top

jebiga41
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 5654

Post by jebiga41 »

Great vid Jed :ok just did my rear two on the van today after work took approx 2 hours one thing that came up is that the bearings need a little "persuasion" to go on and off the stub axles and you do need a fat bloke to break the castle nuts fortunately Dave is not far away :lol:
VW T3/T25 and Syncro Gearbox rebuilds
http://vantopia.ie

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Aha! Been saying fur 6 years ont forum & int wiki yer dont need scaff bars and fat blokes to undo rear 46mm castle nut, just one of these whacker spanners for a tenner or so

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ge ... ut_spanner

Have found that rear wheel bearings rarely go, nearly always the play caused by wear in the inner part of the bearing housing...

Old VW mechs would thus allow for that at MOT time, knowing that they tend to move in vert but not horz planes, and just mention it (year after year)... mine have had play for 4 years now, but they never fail it and don't seem to be getting any worse... although been chewingn cud with Ian SB about a fix for ovalled hub bores.

So change your rear brgs by all means, but don 't expect the play to go away
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

jebiga41
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 5654

Post by jebiga41 »

Tried the whacker spanner approach didn't shift and was also impeded by my rather long wheel studs but thought afterwards that if one wedged the bar on the ground and put it in gear the van would do the hard work for you :idea:
VW T3/T25 and Syncro Gearbox rebuilds
http://vantopia.ie

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

I think mine was a little more than play clive :lol: the van had been driving like crap for about six months and I thought it was due to me lifting it to much.

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM