ABS

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Syncro G
80-90 Mem No: 3988

Re: ABS

Post by Syncro G »

Doesn't Otenger Dave have twin lockers and ABS?

I think theres a buzzer fitted to them to remind you if the rear diffs locked when you go over 50km/h - who goes that fast with the locker in?

When the rangerover first got ABS I think it only worked on one axle and turned off if you went into low range or something (can't remember if it came in before or after they went to VC transmissions). Was it the first off road vehicle with ABS? Possably but that could actully be the syncro! Look the RR quite a while to perfect off road ABS, they pulse slower in some terain 'modes' so it can build up snow/mud chocks to bounce over, making it both better than a locked wheel or an unlocked wheel.

Audi used to have it in the Quattro but it would turn off if you engaged the difflocks.

We had ABS in our old auto Caravelle, back when ABS was rare, it was good, saved at least one accident on ice over the life of the car where other non ABS cars slid about - On the hole I think its a good thing though as always it is a compromise and doesn't always help.

My trailer test (I'm young) was a bit of a pi$$ take reallly as you have to do an emergency stop (not like cars where its 1in3 tests) and its on a test area - you drive to a cone gate at over 20mph and hit the brakes as hard as you can as you cross the line. The vehicle MUST have ABS now so I can't really understand how you could fail!

Volvo were the first with 3 point seatbelts but an interesting fact was that they chose not to patent it as they thought it would discurage uptake of what they thought should be standard on every car on the road - sure enough before long it was. Companys don't think like that these days!
Glen Syncronaut: 113 - 1992 JX Syncro pannel van

wbxr6 Dave

Post by wbxr6 Dave »

Hi all

I have ABS fitted on the Oettinger (front and rear disks) as factory standard and rear diff lock. There are sensors fitted on all 4 wheels for the ABS. Engaging diff lock does not de-activate ABS on my bus. Although I have not gone too extreme off-road with it, what I can say is, on a steep hill decent on wet grass, you can hear the ABS doing its thing, feet are off the pedals! and it will slowly creep down the slope. The only other time ABS has cut in is on the motorway, having to perform an emergency stop with a shock wave. It takes an awful lot of braking to make it cut in. (Never tried leaving diff locks on to see is an alarm sounds)

Regards Dave

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

vw nerd wrote: Does any one have a syncro with ABS and front diff lock?

Yes, my westy has ABS and front and rear lockers.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

syncroparge
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by syncroparge »

I've abs on my rhd caravelle front and rear lockers. When I turn ign on hear a buzer for 1 second sound comes from fusebox area, rear locker light flashes twice, abs light goes out when engine starts. All works perfectly and saved me a couple of times on patchy black ice. Rather have abs than not.