Temp and Pressure Gauges

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Epiphone
80-90 Mem No: 7754

Re: Temp and Pressure Gauges

Post by Epiphone »

I was playing around wiring in the dasboard lights manually and I think I must have wired on the cable coming from the sender a live wire. Now the sender is not responding, gauge pegs to the right on ignition only and when I touch earth the gauge goes back to zero (proving the gauage is ok).

With a multimetre on ohms, shows nothing coming from the sender. But it does seem to be grounded on the case.

So does that sound right, wiring in the sender to live would blow it?

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

MUD looks good, but what else do you get than an ABS blow-moulding for your £43?

Ah! On the next page (link through) it is £34 :roll:
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

orcecaveman
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by orcecaveman »

I know its not cheap, but it is good quality, quite sturdy abs and it has an alloy subframe. Try finding another decent pod that takes more than three gauges. Are you getting those prices muddled up. There are different sizes.

orcecaveman

Post by orcecaveman »

DEVON.DAVE wrote:

I've mounted it to the top of the dashuntidy, pics to follow. I'm wondering what to put below the outside temp guage, thinking maybe warning lights? any sensible sugestions?

LeeME3
80-90 Mem No: 11225

Post by LeeME3 »

orcecaveman wrote:I'm wondering what to put below the outside temp guage, thinking maybe warning lights? any sensible sugestions?

USB charging point?
1986 1.9DG WBX LPG, 4 spd manual. Westy poptop. Renogy lithium leisure. 175W solar. CR50 fridge. Propex. RX8 seats.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Not a bad suggestion, though some would prefer that nearer the centre of the cab.

Syncronaut No. 1

KINGPRAWN
80-90 Mem No: 9516

Post by KINGPRAWN »

I have fitted the VDO trio fitted to golfs and audi's .. Amp, oil press and oil temp. The only problem though is the oil temp goes to 170 deg which means you never see the gauge move!! You need to replace this with a 120deg one!
in too deep to quit now....

orcecaveman

Post by orcecaveman »

120c max. On a DJ in southern Spain?

syncrosimon wrote:I rely on TenCent for the reason why the WBX's go bang after a 100 or more thousand miles.

I believe he thinks that it is an oil temperature problem. When ragged very hard the oil in the wbx can reach over 130 deg C. This thins the oil and lowers the pressure. The main bearing journal on the furthest away main bearing from the oil pump gets the last go at the oil. This bearing wears fastest, and makes the oil pressure problem worse. Thus you start a viscous circle of doom. The rod bolts on a 2.1 are not as strong as a 1.9 which is why you see higher mileage 1.9's, and more 2.1's with holes in the case above number 3.

But, if you observe oil pressure, and maintain a healthy oil temperature then these engines should go on as long as the degrading rubber of the head gasket will allow.

That is why I think the single most important gauge on a wbx is oil pressure. If it starts to drop, slow down, if pressure comes back (as the oil cools) that's fine. If it continues to drop in all situations rebuild the engine before it goes bang.

Tencent builds wbx's over in The United States in America. He modifies them, and will only guarantee them if an oil cooler is fitted. He modifies the pressure relief valve to improve oil circulation (iirc)

In the states lots of standard engines get well over 200,000 miles.

tencentlife

Post by tencentlife »

Tencent builds wbx's over in The United States in America. He modifies them, and will only guarantee them if an oil cooler is fitted. He modifies the pressure relief valve to improve oil circulation (iirc)

I do build upgraded wbx's that make about 20% more power than stock (35% with my tuned exhaust) and in the process I tighten main and rod bearing clearances and blueprint the "feck" out of the oil pump (3 o-rings!) to guarantee excellent lubrication with lighter-grade oils ( I would forbid use of 20w50 if I could! But none of my customers use it anyway). As such I DO NOT require use of my external oil cooler kit to get a warranty, all my engines have a 1yr/12k miles warranty. But I double the warranty with the addition of one of my external oil coolers as an incentive to use one, because by putting a cap on peak on oil temperatures it allows safe use of even lighter more efficient oils and extended drain intervals to save money and resources. Just wanted to clear that up...
Last edited by tencentlife on 03 May 2013, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

So what oil do you recommend... ?

Syncronaut No. 1

tencentlife

Post by tencentlife »

Well it wouldn't be relevant to a stock engine but with oil cooling I'm pushing Mobil1 High Mileage 5w30.

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

tencentlife wrote:Well it wouldn't be relevant to a stock engine but with oil cooling I'm pushing Mobil1 High Mileage 5w30.
That's not one that we get over here.
http://www.mobil.co.uk/UK-English-LCW/c ... -5w30.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
is the only 5w30 in Mobil 1's UK range.

What would you suggest with standard oil cooling?
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

orcecaveman

Post by orcecaveman »

HarryMann wrote:Not a bad suggestion, though some would prefer that nearer the centre of the cab.
As its on the dashtidy it is in the centre. Anybody know of a flush mount usb port apart from the ciggy lighter adaptor type?
Tencentlife, im interested to see how your oil cooler kit mounts in the rear. Have you any pictures please?

tencentlife

Post by tencentlife »

Pics are on my website.

orcecaveman

Post by orcecaveman »

got any others? They dont make it very clear on how it would mount in a standard engine bay